New Light Fitting!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to fit 2 new light fittings which are metal but there are no Earth connections on them.

The ones ive just took off which are also metal do have Earth connections. Do i need to earth them ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0077BH3FK/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

imgres

Sponsored Links
The instructions show it is marked as double insulated. Great care will have to be taken to ensure your house wiring is connected to the new fitting in a way that meets class II standards.

What kind of great care?

Haven't seen any double insulated signs! IE 2 squares.

The cable just has a live and neutral.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry yes your right it is class 2 double insulated.

I would still like to know what great care I need to take? Is it not just screwing the connections together and block the existing earth?

I think Echo means there is likely a enclosure for the connector blocks to ensure they cannot come into contact with the metal. Correct?
Many come with something like this
21d6lzDFgtL.jpg

Yours will likely only have two terminals though. They can be a bit of a pig to get the cables into, but you need to ensure yours are fully enclosed.

Yes as above, most of these light fittings are not designed for installation on UK (or any) wiring, and many of the manufacturers are *******.

UK wiring is designed so that 2 faults need to be present before there is a danger of electric shock.
e.g.
Insulation on live wire fails and conductor touches earthed metal light fitting. Fuse blows - One fault, safe
Insulation on live wire fails inside enclosure shown above and conductor touches insulating plastic enclosure fuse doesn't blow, but metal fitting not live - One fault, safe.

Earth wire to Class I metal light fitting comes out of earth terminal due to lose connection. Insulation on live wires in good condition. - One fault, not ideal, but the user is still safe (at least for now)

Earth wire to Class I metal light fitting comes out of earth terminal due to lose connection. Insulation on live wire fails and conductor touches now unearthed metal - 2 faults, unsafe and a danger of electric shock is now present.

Now we come to your fitting and why it is important that all the single insulated wires are enclosed in a suitable insulating enclosure.

Insulation on live wire fails, it is hanging out of above shown enclosure due to sloppy installation. Insulation on live wire fails and the conductor touches the unearthed metal of the classII light fitting. - One fault, unsafe and a danger of electric shock is now present with just a single fault.

If it was wired properly, there would have to be damage to the cables outer sheathing (fault one) and damage to the wires insulation inside the sheathing (fault two) for there to be an unsafe condition that creates a shock hazard.

Post a photo of the connector you have on your light fitting, and let us know how many cables you have poking out of the ceiling at each fitting.

Yes as above, most of these light fittings are not designed for installation on UK (or any) wiring, and many of the manufacturers are *******.

UK wiring is designed so that 2 faults need to be present before there is a danger of electric shock.
e.g.
Insulation on live wire fails and conductor touches earthed metal light fitting. Fuse blows - One fault, safe
Insulation on live wire fails inside enclosure shown above and conductor touches insulating plastic enclosure fuse doesn't blow, but metal fitting not live - One fault, safe.

Earth wire to Class I metal light fitting comes out of earth terminal due to lose connection. Insulation on live wires in good condition. - One fault, not ideal, but the user is still safe (at least for now)

Earth wire to Class I metal light fitting comes out of earth terminal due to lose connection. Insulation on live wire fails and conductor touches now unearthed metal - 2 faults, unsafe and a danger of electric shock is now present.

Now we come to your fitting and why it is important that all the single insulated wires are enclosed in a suitable insulating enclosure.

Insulation on live wire fails, it is hanging out of above shown enclosure due to sloppy installation. Insulation on live wire fails and the conductor touches the unearthed metal of the classII light fitting. - One fault, unsafe and a danger of electric shock is now present with just a single fault.

If it was wired properly, there would have to be damage to the cables outer sheathing (fault one) and damage to the wires insulation inside the sheathing (fault two) for there to be an unsafe condition that creates a shock hazard.

Post a photo of the connector you have on your light fitting, and let us know how many cables you have poking out of the ceiling at each fitting.

Thanks. I'll take a photo tomorrow when I rewire them.

e.g.

This is what I've done

I've kept the earth so at least the rose is earthed.
This ok?

Unless that bit of flex with the ring crimp on it came with the new light, disconnect it from the connector block. The point of that connector cover is that there is no (read slim to none) chance of the live coming into contact with the metal.

I know it seems like backwards logic, but that's how these things are designed.

If that flex came with the fitting, then by all means, leave as is

Leave the earth from the twin and earth in that connector though.

Unless that bit of flex with the ring crimp on it came with the new light, disconnect it from the connector block. The point of that connector cover is that there is no (read slim to none) chance of the live coming into contact with the metal.

I know it seems like backwards logic, but that's how these things are designed.

If that flex came with the fitting, then by all means, leave as is

Leave the earth from the twin and earth in that connector though.

The bit of flex I took off my old lights. Think I'll just leave them now, can't be bothered to take them down again. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back