New Light Switches - Different Labelling, Little Help Please

RDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you can help, I'm trying to fit three new two way switches but I'm struggling a bit as they look completely different at the back and the labelling isn't helping me.

I think I may have a rough idea but I don't want to blow my house up so wanted to run it past you kind folks first.

The original switches look like this...

The replacement switches look like this...

The wires on the original are labelled as follows;

Top left = common/1
Top middle = 3
Top right = 2

Bottom left = 3
Bottom middle = 2
Bottom right = common/1

So if I get this right I connect the common wires to the common sockets on the new switches, on this one it seems that they're "bridged" by a wire which just goes from one to the other. As for the rest my guess is that the wires going into the "2" sockets would go to "L1" on the new switches and the wires labelled "3" would go to the sockets labelled "L2", does that sound right?

Hope you can help, it's probably dead simple but as I said I don't want to guess and blow the house up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Looks like the grey single goes into one of the COM on the new one and interconnects to the other COM (there's a single red wire interconnecting on the old switch).

Then the pairs of reds remaining on either side goto L1 and L2 on the same side on the new switch.

So

1=COM on the new - grey single + interconnect the 2 COMs
2/3 = L1 / L2 on the new keeping them on the same side as before

• Thanks
Reactions: RDD
Thanks folks, it's much appreciated, looks like I wasn't too far off then :)

I've been looking and each switch is wired slightly differently, one at the top of the stairs, one at the bottom and one in the hall that controls its lights as well as an outdoor one.

If I stick to the basic rules (and label the wires as otherwise I won't have the faintest what goes where with them all being the same colour) then that should be all well, if I get too stuck I might have to upload a new pic and hope you can help me out again!

Thanks Iggifer - I don't know much about electrics but I do like MK stuff!

Sponsored Links
Aside from recent discussions about MK stuff decreasing in quality, they do generally, make top notch stuff, and IMO, it's the best looking range of accessories on the market.

I have seen some nice stuff from Schneider (branded as GET) but haven't used them to vouch for quality, but Schneider is generally top notch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back