Change Double Light Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 double light switches that I want to just replace with new ones, the layout on the back of the new switches is different to the old ones so I have left them in tact and come here for help!

The kitchen switch has 3 terminals at the top and 3 at the bottom, the top 3 from left to right are:
A Red wire
B1 Blue wire
B2 Red wire

3 at the bottom, again left to right are:
A1 Red wire
? (cannot make out the label) No wire
B Yellow

For the dining room switch is looks more standard in that it has the diagonal line, it is labelled:
L Yellow wire
L3 Red wire x 2
L2 Red + Blue wires

L3 Red wire
L2 Blue wire
L1 Yellow wire

The new switches I have look like 2 standard switched side by side, so there are 2 terminals at the top and 4 at the bottom, both of those at the top are labelled Common, then the bottom say 1 way, 2 way, 1 way and 2 way.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ignore all that rubbish about what terminals run along the top, and what terminals run along the bottom.

You need to observe that the back of any 2 gang switch is divided vertically into two halves.

On the old switch, one individual switch consists of A, A1, A2.
The other one consists of B, B1, B2.

The other old switch appears for you to see they are individual switches.

Make a clear note of the old wiring in the old switches before you disconnect anything.

Old switch
A = com
A1 = L1
A2 = L2

B = com
B1 = L1
B2 = L2

Other old switch

L1 = com
L2 = L1
L3 = L2

Sponsored Links
One of the old switches looks like that, but the new one's don't! I feel I may need to return them and look for one's laid out the same way as those i am replacing.

One of the old switches looks like that, but the new one's don't! I feel I may need to return them and look for one's laid out the same way as those i am replacing.
Pointless in taking the switch back - just remember

Common = common
1 way = L1
2 way = L2

Then follow sparkwright's instructions.

I am scared of electricity (as I should be of course!) and it is turned off at mains before I fiddle, but it's turning it back on after wiring it wrong that worries me! Worst case scenario is I end up in the dark and a sparky makes some money I guess.

It may be that your new switch has fewer terminals, which is not a problem in this case.

What are the terminals on the new dimmer?

They are not dimmer, just standard on and off switches. They have 1 common and 1 1-way and 1 2-way on each side, so 6 holes in total.

It may be that your new switch has fewer terminals, which is not a problem in this case.

What are the terminals on the new dimmer?

Sorry, ignore me, I'm now confusing you with another thread on the forum.

I have 2 double light switches that I want to just replace with new ones, the layout on the back of the new switches is different to the old ones so I have left them in tact and come here for help!

The kitchen switch has 3 terminals at the top and 3 at the bottom, the top 3 from left to right are:
A Red wire Common - SW 1
B1 Blue wire One Way - SW 2
B2 Red wire Two Way - SW 2

3 at the bottom, again left to right are:
A1 Red wire One Way - SW 1
? (cannot make out the label) No wire
B Yellow Common - SW 2

For the dining room switch is looks more standard in that it has the diagonal line, it is labelled:
L Yellow wire
L3 Red wire x 2
L2 Red + Blue wires

L3 Red wire
L2 Blue wire
L1 Yellow wire

It's unclear which L2 & L3 are paired with which L/L1 from your description - but if you just copy the layout, treating L/L1 as common and L2 as 'one-way' and L3 as 'two-way', you should be alright.

The new switches I have look like 2 standard switched side by side, so there are 2 terminals at the top and 4 at the bottom, both of those at the top are labelled Common, then the bottom say 1 way, 2 way, 1 way and 2 way.

Any help would be appreciated!

My Blue

Cheers Electrifying, I have just followed what you said and it worked with no drama, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back