NEW LIGHTS ADDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently added some external lights on my terrace (400W floodlight) as well as some mains powered external uplighters.

My house circuit now trips if all the house lights are on and the external lights are on too (obviously the electrician should have put them on a new ring)...

It is too late now to put the lights on a new ring, but could i increase the allowable ampage before the circuit trips by buying a new breaker to slot in?

Please advise.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
It depends what is tripping. Is it the circuit breaker or the RCD? Different trip, different problem. On principle - no, don't just buy a bigger amperage circuit breaker. It might be possible but we'd need more info before giving sensible advice.

PJ

You must have an awful lot of lighting on that circuit.

Do you only have one circuit covering your property?
Flat/semi/terraced?

What about changing some bulbs for low energy version? Including your 400w flood light.

hi, thanks for coming back to me...

It is a 2 bedroom flat, with 8 spots per room (2 beds, 1 reception, 1 kitchen and 4 spots in teh bathroom)...

In the garden, I have some more spots and of course the 400W floodlight.

I dont think that it trips by much, as literally it takes all of the lights in all of the rooms and all of the external lights for the fusebox breaker to trip.

Hope that helps... please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the main fusebox has 4 breakers in it...

2 for lighting (correction from earlier as i thought all my lights were on one)
these are both with breakers with the below markings

B6 6A Wylex

the remaining 2 breakers are for the sockets, and the last one for the kitchen

does that help?

6A circuit will handle 6 x 230v or about 1400w.

The circuit is over loading :D

Choice:-

If 1.5mm TEm get electrician to check and up MCB fuse to 10 amp

Reduce load on circuit- Change some GU10 50w for 3 or 5 w LED's or megaman energy savers.

Reduce load on circuit- Dump 400w foodlight and go with energy saving flood light.

Spread load over circuits, move some of the lights off over loaded circuit to other lighting circuit.

Remove 400w load (flood light) and wire that to the socket circuit (30 amp ?) via a 3 amp fuse and fuse spur unit.

great, thanks Chri5. very helpful! it sounds like the floodlight is the main problem... do you know if they have energy saver bulbs that I can use in the floodlight instead?

flameport, how is that even remotely helpful?

great, thanks Chri5. very helpful! it sounds like the floodlight is the main problem... do you know if they have energy saver bulbs that I can use in the floodlight instead?

I doubt it, energy saving floods tend to be matched, bulb and case.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...light_Index/Floodlights_Smartflood/index.html

flameport, how is that even remotely helpful?

Part P forbids external electrical work, hence his post.

To be quite honest, I'd go with a floodlight at about 2.5m-3.0m off ground, fixed on flat wall, drill a upward incline 8mm hole in to the flat and trunking down. At 1200mm fit a switched fused spur. Then feed a 1.5mm TE cable from a socket in to the fused spur.

If you use black rubber 1.0mm 3 core flex, you can run a cable drop externally down and pop the hole at low level, which might be better for the internal wall aestics.

Thus the offending light would be working via a circuit (30amp) which would NOT over load 400w / 230v or 1.75 amps

External work is not prohibited, but the installation of these lights is notifiable.

Since the installation of a 400W floodlight does not comply with building regulations, either the installation was not notified via LABC, or if a scheme member notified it they were lying when they did so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back