New lights - flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Halo guys

I just replaced a flourecent light fitting and tube for a brand new one in my garage. I have used all the existing wiring and on off switch. Just extended the cable to add a second single light and tube further down. What is it with these tube lights that makes them flicker?

The flicker is very, very faint. Is that how they are are?

I dont mind this in the garage but could not stand this in the house. Is this normal or have I a concern?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This is down to the control gear in the light.

If you have a magnetic ballast (with a starter) then you may see this 50Hz flicker
A High Frequency ballast does a better job of smoothing out this 50Hz and so you do not get this same flicker

If you can live with it, then it's fine, if not, swap it for one with HF control gear

Be carefull using rotary machinery(drills lathes etc) depending on their speed the flicker can make them apear stationary.
As has been stated high frequency balasts are better and are used in workshops for the reasons above.

Sponsored Links
I would guess due to temperature in the garage. I know many sites would not use the longer tubes because of the striking problem in the cold.

There are a number of problems with the inductive control including hard to strike with low voltage and using well over rated watts with high voltage.

Up to 5ft using inductive control is not too much of a problem, but over that then HF control is really the only way. The increase in the voltage variation when we went from 240 to 230 means the longer lamps do present a problem. You could get up to 8ft tubes but today they seem to be rare.

The HF type in general use less power and have a far larger voltage range and the same tube can last up to 5 times what it would last with an inductive ballast. However when the tube shows signs of end of life then you need to change quickly as old tubes can take the HF unit with them when they fail. Depending on quality of HF unit.

As already said the HF unit does not have the same problems with stroboscopic effect.

Assuming all is tight and the flicker is just noticeable, then have a look at the ends of the tube. If the flicker is visible there and not in the centre then just put a paper sleeve over the ends. OK for garage and often used in offices, but not much help in the house. HF is the proper answer, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back