new loft conversion advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am after some advice, my structural engineer has calculated my steels they are in place and level but the rafters are at different heights from the top of the steel from one end of the room to the other am I better trying to get the same height from the rafters to the top of the steels or have the steels level?

Sponsored Links
If packing or filling are not an option then sometimes you just have to go with the building irrespective of levels.

The beam needs to be level and square to the walls, or else if may look all wonky when the plasterboard is up. Normally, you would cut wedges for under the rafters, and pack the ceiling down.

Sometimes, for small amounts, you can jig the beam around to spilt the difference - but always be mindful of the plasterboard finish

great thanks my mind was not quiet with it, i will keep the steel level and pack off the rafters I have got to add 2x2 to the face to get the insulation in so one end I will add 3x2 to keep the plaster board finish correct, Thanks for the replys guys I will get some pics up soon,

Sponsored Links
Hi guys just after a bit more help, not sure if i should start a new thread or not, I have fitted the floor joists running next to the original ceiling joists screwing them together to support the ceiling below, but now i have got to put the noggins in and cant use the same timber 8x2 as the joists due to loosing 3inch because of the ceiling joists, do you think 4x2 would be sufficient as a noggin? The joists are spaced 400 centers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back