New MCB needs an isolator switch

efj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been getting quotes in for some electrical work - which includes replacing the main board.

Only one electrician mentioned that I should contact Scottish Power to get them to fit an isolator switch, which would then allow the board to be isolated from the main supply and thus preplaced.

Scottish Power can't get someone out for 10 days, which means the electricain I want to use won't be available.... an alternative that was mentioned was to cut the seal on the main fuse (allowing it to be removed) and when SP come to fit the isolater switch claim the seal was already broken. What are the implications of doing this? Sounds dodgy to me?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cutting the service fuse seal is frowned upon by some but is done all the time by sparks.
I've never had a problem to date, I just notify supplier (dno) a day or so prior to cutting it that the customer is having a board change so I'll need to remove service fuse & could they make a note on customer account that next time they are out at address to refix seals.

Provided the electrician is suitably qualified (I don't know Scottish regulations) and does a professional job, your supplier is unlikely to object. It happens all the time. It should be obvious that you haven't been interfering with the meter to steal electricity so it is important that only the main fuse is touched.

If he pushes the old sealing wires back into the tabs the fitter may not even notice that they have been cut (he would examine more closely if he suspected foul play).

I agree that a 100A DP isolator is a useful thing to have for the future. there are people who say that it gives one more thing to go wrong... but a good brand has a very long service life and is not difficult to change. It is unlikely to suffer from heat or wear out through excessive use.

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. If needs be we'll go with cutting the seal and notifying the board.

Thanks

efj

Sponsored Links
the old trick is to take the insulation off of a blue ring crimp, cut the ring off then use the tube that is left and crimp the wires back together.. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back