New Megoflo Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a megaflo installed with my combi boiler installation.

A couple of questions as I’m slightly concerned.

Does the radiatior connections need to be at a centralised point or the nearest radiatior?

Can the hot water and cold water be taken from the nearest points?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
I have relocated my combi boiler and getting a mega flo

How would they connect to the existing radiators

And can’t they take a hot and cold water feed from the nearest point

Why are you having a combi and a megaflow ? The function of a combi is to give hot water on demand with no need for a tank . if you want a megaflow you would be better off with a system boiler.

Sponsored Links
Your questions are still unclear as to exactly what you mean, however:

How would they connect to the existing radiators
What was the heating flow from the boiler is split, with two 2 port zone valves, one of which supplies the radiators, the other the hot water cylinder.
You will obviously need new controls such as a programmer, thermostat etc. to select hot water, heating or both.

And can’t they take a hot and cold water feed from the nearest point
Hot water is supplied from the hot water cylinder.
Cold is either direct from the mains, or via the control group on the cylinder if it is intended to supply things such as a mixer shower.

As it's a combi boiler, it would still be possible to use that for at least one hot water outlet independent of the new cylinder, but that would require separate plumbing connections to the boiler for whichever outlet is supplied.

As for where the pipes connect - in theory it is possible to connect to existing radiators and hot/cold outlets at any point, but that may lead to problems depending on the pipework.
Long lengths of pipework and those with excessive numbers of bends in will restrict the flow, as will smaller size pipes.
Some examples - you would not want the radiators all connected via a 15mm pipe, as the flow will almost certainly be insufficient for all of the radiators.
You would not want the hot water to travel through long lengths of pipe all over the house as it will increase the time taken for hot water to reach the outlets, and waste a significant amount of heat with the hot water left in the pipes every time a tap is used.

Thanks flameport,
I just wanted to ensure I was getting the right thing of the installers.

Different installers seem to do different things.

They want to run a 22m pipe from my garage to just under my stairs to connect the radiators, there is a radiator in the room where the boiler is being moved too.

They want to connect to the nearest cop water and hot water, there is a cold water feed already in the room and want to connect the hot water from the wet room which is the next room.

My up stairs bathroom will run from existing pipes and no new piping to be fitted.

Why are you having a combi and a megaflow ? The function of a combi is to give hot water on demand with no need for a tank . if you want a megaflow you would be better off with a system boiler.

Absolutely, a megaflow is a complete waste of time with a combi.

@nkhan please respond to this - what do you need the megaflow for ?

I had a combi boiler only fitted a few years and megaflo I presume will improve flow and pressure around the house

Absolutely, a megaflow is a complete waste of time with a combi.

@nkhan please respond to this - what do you need the megaflow for ?
not quite true , lots of installations use a combi for some outlets like one shower or sink etc and the mega flow is used for the other outlets , all depends on HW requirements, if designed and installed properly can be a good combination

not quite true , lots of installations use a combi for some outlets like one shower or sink etc and the mega flow is used for the other outlets , all depends on HW requirements, if designed and installed properly can be a good combination

ok nice one. But wont they all depend upon the same mains water pressure ?

@ nkhan, have you have a survey down on your water supply? Is it adequate to supply both the unvented and the combi? If so then you should have a note of the pressure and flow figures?

A few pics

Attachments

• FA7EC16F-C27E-4A5A-B187-A9FB882E5D00.jpeg
    FA7EC16F-C27E-4A5A-B187-A9FB882E5D00.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2B2236BA-7DCA-4E7C-A900-1A2CA17F668D.jpeg
    2B2236BA-7DCA-4E7C-A900-1A2CA17F668D.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 8BC7320C-47BC-4B13-BEF1-34CEF3CCC328.jpeg
    8BC7320C-47BC-4B13-BEF1-34CEF3CCC328.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 71
you already have an unvented cylinder installed so why are you asking these questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back