New Mortis Latches don't fit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a house built around 40 years ago and one of the original mortis latches on an internal door needs replacing.

The original is about 3" in depth and so I bought the modern equivalent of 75/80mm.

At first the new latch appears identical, however it is not quite the same. On the original mortis latch the hole for the through handle bar is about 4mm deeper into the door. So if I use the new latch I will need to reposition the handles and repaint the door.

Is the original an old imperial standard from 40 years ago, and if so are they still available?

Sponsored Links
Yes more than likely an imperial size that will be difficult to sourch new. Architectral salvage is an option but pricey and you could spend ages looking. I've used these in the past http://www.priceandoliver.co.uk/ and always found them helpful, although out of your area. E-mail them and they might be able to help you more than I can.

can you not recess the faceplate 2mm further into the door then you only have 2mm to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back