New MOT rules

If your car failed its MOT before it's expiry date wouldn't you be obliged to inform your insurance company if you intend to drive your car until your current MOT expires.

Sponsored Links
Are you obliged to inform them if you’re out in the car and a bulb blows? Or you run out of washer fluid? Or you hear a noise from the front suspension that could be a worn joint, or the exhaust starts blowing, or you get a crack in the windscreen, or you shut the door on a seatbelt and damage it, or the ecu goes wonky affecting your emmissions, or someone clatters your offside door mirror and smashes it, or the pedal rubber comes off of your brake pedal, or the low brake fluid warning light comes on, or the sun visor falls down and won’t stay up, or you clip the kerb and cause some damage to the tyre sidewall, or, or, or.....

All MOT failures.............

If your car failed its MOT before it's expiry date wouldn't you be obliged to inform your insurance company if you intend to drive your car until your current MOT expires.

Last year, a woman crashed into the back of me at low speed and broke my bumper. We did the usual exchange of details. When I got home, I checked her MOT status on the DVLA site - hers was out of date. Few days later I was speaking to my insurance company, and asked if no MOT meant they weren't insured. Apparently, if you don't have a current MOT it doesn't mean that your insurance is invalid. This surprised me.

afaik u do not or did not get points on yer licence for not having an mot ??

Sponsored Links
Yep no MOT is none endorsable believe it or not!. £100 fine iirc

Can't understand the reasoning behind the 40 year rule at all, as you say it's just daft..

Seems I can get my 1973 Rover, which has been hibernating in my garage for years, back on the road with no MOT needed in a few weeks. That shows how stupid the system is.

P6? If it was a P5, it would be the very last of them. Fantastic cars.

I don't understand the 40 year MOT thing either. It makes sense for owners of classic cars to be let off car tax as their cars spend most of the time in the garage. But letting crusty old Cortinas, etc onto the road without some kind of inspection seems odd.

I believe the thinking behind it is that (From May), owners of 40 year old cars are more likely to use them less and maintain them better than the rest of us in say, a 39 year old car! Pre-1960 cars are already MOT exempt.

Of course, it is not compulsory to have no MOT on these vehicles and the owner, if not sure in his/her own ability or that if the person that maintains their vehicle, has the option to voluntarily turn up and pay for an MOT test to be carried out on their vehicle for their own satisfaction.

Being exempt from the annual MOT test does not mean you are not exempt from prosecution for driving a vehicle in a dangerous or defective condition so you still have a legal obligation to ensure it is in a fit state to be used on the road.

Sponsored Links
Back