New/Old wiring colours sticker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening chaps

Having re-wired some of my light switches upstairs (for some reason they were all pull cords before :rolleyes: ) I now have a mix of old and new wiring colours in the house.

I am aware that I should have a sticker on my CU that states both new and old wiring colours have been used but I am unsure where to buy one from. Or is it just a case of writing this on a sticky label :oops:

If it is the latter please feel free to laugh at my expense :LOL:

Sponsored Links
TLLAB49.JPG

Print it off on sticky backed paper (having resized it) or buy one http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Necessities_Index/Cable_Colour_Labels/index.html

Sponsored Links
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Necessities_Index/Cable_Colour_Labels/index.html

;)

Snap.

So would a home printed sticker be ok, or would someone moan about it not being a laminate style hard wearing label ?

I am aware that I should have a sticker on my CU that states both new and old wiring colours have been used
Are you also aware that you should have provided RCD protection for the new cables, if the lights weren't already on an RCD?

I am aware that I should have a sticker on my CU that states both new and old wiring colours have been used
Are you also aware that you should have provided RCD protection for the new cables, if the lights weren't already on an RCD?

Why would I need to put in an RCD for the circuit when all I have done is replace a length of wire that went from the ceiling rose to the pull switch with another length that now goes to a basic wall switch?

The CU for the house does not currently have an RCD and hence we are getting quotes for having this replaced with a new unit with dual RCD protection.

I thought you needed to add an RCD if none was already present if I was doing a rewire or adding another circuit (both of which would be notifiable anyway). Surely this would classify as maintenance in the same way as adding a spurred socket etc. Please do correct me if I'm wrong - I would rather have the work done properly.

Under the guise of maintenance what you are doing is absolutely fine.

The general caveat is that it will not make the installation any less safe.

Rightly your looking at updating the consumer unit, it's always good to be safe and up to date, offers you reassurance for you and your family and the certificate adds value to the house.

Win, win :LOL:

Why would I need to put in an RCD for the circuit when all I have done is replace a length of wire that went from the ceiling rose to the pull switch with another length that now goes to a basic wall switch?
OK - I was assuming that the new cables were buried in the walls, not just clipped to the surface or put in surface trunking.

If I was wrong then you don't need an RCD, but if you did bury them and they aren't more than 50mm deep, or in earthed metal conduit, or of a cable type exempt from the requirement, then if you want to comply with the Wiring Regulations, which is probably the easiest and most sensible way to comply with P1 then they need RCD protection.

The CU for the house does not currently have an RCD and hence we are getting quotes for having this replaced with a new unit with dual RCD protection.
Might as well leave it until then.

I thought you needed to add an RCD if none was already present if I was doing a rewire or adding another circuit (both of which would be notifiable anyway). Surely this would classify as maintenance in the same way as adding a spurred socket etc. Please do correct me if I'm wrong - I would rather have the work done properly.
You're wrong, and so is Chri5. What you did doesn't count as maintenance, but that's irrelevant because there are no exemptions in the wiring regulations for anything which is maintenance.

And if you add a spurred socket the new one must have RCD protection, as must any new concealed cabling, and if it's in a kitchen it's also notifiable.

BAS - thank you very much indeed for your advice. You were correct in your assumption that the cable is buried in the wall leading down to the switch location (in a vertical safe zone) and it is not >50mm from the surface or given protection by way of the methods you outlined. I will therefore push through the process of updating the CU faster to ensure everything is safe.

This is our first house and hence my learning curve for doing minor household electrics has been relatively steep. As such I have tried to research everything I have done thoroughly before commencing any work - however it appears I have missed this along the way.

I am aware of my limitations and what work is notifiable and would therefore not dream of doing things like changing the CU etc myself. We needed our electric shower replacing and I paid a qualified electrician to do the work.

As you can probably imagine - our finances are stretched at present and hence I have tried to do as much work to the house myself in an effort to save some money. Along the way I have picked up a huge amount of electrical and plumbing knowledge, largely thanks to those on these forums, so thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with those less experienced :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back