1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

New oven and hob

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Crakkers, 8 Oct 2019.

1. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And in the worse case, if there was a problem;

buy a proper big hob and connect it to the 32A cooker circuit.
    connect the oven to the socket circuit.

2. Crakkers

Crakkers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wow! Thanks for all your help!

3. Crakkers

Crakkers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So, when shopping for oven and hob we found a job at 7.2 kw and an oven at 6kw. We were told that they would require separate 32amp supplies and also questioned the size of the cable to our existing oven.

They also said they would not install the items if on arrival the existing installation was not up to spec.

What size should the wire be from the consumer unit to the “cooker switch “ and from the switch to the cooker and how can I tell what I actually have?

As I have 1 run from the consumer unit to the cooker switch and out, how will I facilitate connecting the oven and hob?

Thanks in advance.

4. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not true

Don't use any retailers installation service - invariably it ends in disappointment because they will only do the installation if what you have is 100% in accordance with whatever they expect to find, which typically isn't what any electrical regulations or manufacturer's instructions say.

32A and a 6mm² cable would be the most usual option, and to connect 2 items a dual plate is used, https://www.superlecdirect.com/p-prw217-scolmore-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate

• Like Like x 2
  5. Crakkers

Crakkers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, thanks again for your help on this matter. it appears that for the £5 cost of the dual plate, plus some cable, I'll be good to go. I guess then final check will be to ensure that the 6mm2 cable goes right back to the consumer unit, which I am almost certain it does.