new oven, can I reuse the current oven's cable?

C

charliebean

Have a new oven arriving tomorrow. The old one is only a few years old and has a plug fitted to it, which goes into a plug socket behind the oven space. There is an isolating switch above the counter.
I don't want to pay Curry's £90 to fit a plug. Assuming the new one does not come with a ne cable, can I resuse the current one?

Sponsored Links
All depends on what The MIs say about wiring the oven. Many ovens require 'hard wiring' as opposed to a plug.
Do you know what your new oven has? What is the wattage?

The ove/cooker outlet is on its own circuit at the fusebox.

The online manual for the single oven I have bought says "Connect the product to a grounded outlet/line protected by a fuse of suitable capacity as stated in the Technical Specifications table."

The Technical Specifications table says its total power consumption is 2.5kW and it needs a min. 13 A fuse. Cable needs to be H05VV-FG 3 X 1.5mm2 or equivalent (this is presumably a cable specific to the job: heat resistant and whatever else).

Isn't a terminal outlet box effectively doing the same job as the plug socket in this case? Connecting the cooker and the oven switch on the wall (control unit, right?) together?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so sure your current setup will be okay but I would re-post the details in the ELECTRICS section so the experts there can give you a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back