couple questions about new oven fitting

Bosch is German. Most of Europe uses 16A "Schucko" plugs/sockets on radial circuits. That is why, although the loading is only 2.9KW Bosch's instructions specify 16A. 2.9KW @ 230V is 12.6A, so under the 13A ceiling. Various methods for the connection (type) have been discussed on this forum ad nauseam!

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether your existing socket has a surface mounted or sunken back box. In either case you would need to replace the existing double back box with a dual back box similar to this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-DUAL...BLE-SINGLE-PATTRESS-FLUSH-MOUNT-/330833891114
For surface mounted sockets they do make similar dual plastic back boxes.
Then purchase an un-switched single socket and a CCU as described.
Connect the existing cable into the CCU supply and your new oven cable into the CCU load.
Connect you new single socket from the CCU supply to the socket LNE - 2.5mm² or 4mm² T&E should be okay.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
the manual is clear it must not use a socket and 13A fuse in the UK, so at least that is clear.
It may be clear that that is what they say.

What is not at all clear is why they say it. Please ask them - firstly we would be interested in their reply, and secondly w*nkers like them deserve a good kicking.

It's a sucken box that I have currently, so very easy to change that over to a double back box. All makes perfect sense as you described it - brilliantly helpful, thank you.

I am going to contact Bosch though, as not only am I interested in their explaination as to why it cant run on a 13A socket but I have now bought the oven and got it home and the new oven's control panel is a couple of mm higher than it should be on the right hand side (a manufacturing fault), meaning that it does not quite fit under the worktop!

No doubt, this is why it was in the reduced to clear section in Currys - my guess is that someone already bought it, got it home and had the same problem so returned it to the shop. I could probably take it apart and fix it myself (worked for Creda on the lines 15-odd year's ago) and this happens easily with one screw not quite in square, that sort of thing, but it would likely invalidate the warranty if I did it myself as I'd have to get to the right screw. This is my life, just one annoying problem after another!

Sponsored Links
No doubt, this is why it was in the reduced to clear section in Currys
Unless they told you it was faulty normal consumer protection laws apply.

Bosch weren't that helpful, said they could send out an engineer, though they weren't keen and I'm not convinced their engineer could resolve the issue. Else they suggested returning it to Currys. I know they would have to take it back, and think they would be fine about that. But if I take it back then I am back to square one and none of their other ovens we saw would fit and be in our price range. So I may have to force it under the worktop, which would almost certainly scratch the worktop a bit, though only on the bottom so perhaps not a major issue. There would be a small gap as there should be on the left hand side but toward the right hand side it would be touching for about half the oven width against the worktop. Doubt there would be any heat risk as a result, so maybe that's what I'll do. Just anoying as wont look perfect as it should.

Bosch weren't that helpful, said they could send out an engineer, though they weren't keen and I'm not convinced their engineer could resolve the issue. [/QUOTE]

Well you don't know till they try so get them to send one out.

Bosch weren't that helpful, said they could send out an engineer, though they weren't keen and I'm not convinced their engineer could resolve the issue.

Well you don't know till they try so get them to send one out.[/QUOTE]

True, I may well try and get them too once it is installed; I think either way we will keep it.
I am sure I could manage the electics on this myself, but I may still get an electrician to do it as I have a lot else on at the moment. What sort of price would be reasonable?

Bosch have said that it can be installed with a 13 amp fuse so long as it's done by a qualified electrician and they deem it appropriate (taking account of other appliances, etc). It will not invalidate the guarantee unless it is poorly fitted. They would not put this in writing in an email and they still prefer hardwiring (no explanation given as to why).

Bosch have said that it can be installed with a 13 amp fuse so long as it's done by a qualified electrician and they deem it appropriate (taking account of other appliances, etc).
That's quite a responsible reply.

It would appear that they think you want to just plug it in - to the socket circuit.

Having a socket on the end of a cooker circuit is a different matter and quite satisfactory.

Bosch have said that it can be installed with a 13 amp fuse so long as it's done by a qualified electrician and they deem it appropriate (taking account of other appliances, etc).
That's quite a responsible reply.

It would appear that they think you want to just plug it in - to the socket circuit.

Having a socket on the end of a cooker circuit is a different matter and quite satisfactory.

I told them it was on a cooker circuit, so their reply was based on that. By other appliances they presumably are thinking of a hob for instance, but more broadly I suspect one of the reasons they don't provide a plug in the first place and say not to use one, is because some home owners would connect them to inappropriate circuits.

By ensuring it is done by a qualified electrician and pushing them toward a hardwired connection, they avoid such problems arising.

I told them it was on a cooker circuit, so their reply was based on that.
Ok. I was being too kind to them then.

By ensuring it is done by a qualified electrician and pushing them toward a hardwired connection, they avoid such problems arising.
Just covering their own back-boxes, more like. They don't know.

They would not put this in writing in an email and they still prefer hardwiring (no explanation given as to why).
Demand that they tell you why, in writing, quoting specific Wiring Regulations.
I'm not sure I understand. To put the above quote in context ...
Bosch have said that it can be installed with a 13 amp fuse so long as it's done by a qualified electrician and they deem it appropriate (taking account of other appliances, etc). It will not invalidate the guarantee unless it is poorly fitted. They would not put this in writing in an email and they still prefer hardwiring (no explanation given as to why).
I don't see what regulation they could cite to support their statement that it could be installed with a 13A fuse by a competent electrician. As for 'preferring hardwiring' (which, to be frank, I also do for cooking appliances), the regs only relate to what is required, not to 'preferences'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back