New Oven needed but unsure if standard plug will work even tho under 3kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current oven is this

https://www.neff-home.com/uk/produc...s/Togglebox=-1051994369/Togglebox=1169464653/

But the door came off its hinges unfortunately.
I'm looking at buying 2 ovens. One is over 3kw and needs to have the fusing job done. The other is under 3kw and a simple conventional plug.
The current installed Neff is apparently under 3kw and yet my father says that the oven was not plugged in with a conventional plug. Can anybody explain to me the likelihood of what has happened here (different plug etc) or whether my father is mistaken?
Will I need to order the over 3kw and have it fused or will a simple plug one work, or is it a third option of neither working that I'm unaware of?
(I know this is electrics but if someone can direct me or explain here the ease of which / cost to replace the Neff oven door as an alternative option that would also be appreciated, thanks)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The new oven just under 3kW could technically be put on a 13amp plug. The manufacturers instructions however may insist it should go on a 13amp fused connection unit. This is a matter of replacing the 13amp socket and plug for a 13amp FCU. In theory it is the same thing, but some people prefer things to be 'hardwired' in.

The oven that is over 3kW ideally needs to be on it's own circuit, so maybe you already have a separate dedicated cooker circuit you can use for this.

Sponsored Links
The new oven just under 3kW could technically be put on a 13amp plug. The manufacturers instructions however may insist it should go on a 13amp fused connection unit. This is a matter of replacing the 13amp socket and plug for a 13amp FCU. In theory it is the same thing, but some people prefer things to be 'hardwired' in.

The oven that is over 3kW ideally needs to be on it's own circuit, so maybe you already have a separate dedicated cooker circuit you can use for this.

Cheers

My current oven is this

https://www.neff-home.com/uk/produc...s/Togglebox=-1051994369/Togglebox=1169464653/

But the door came off its hinges unfortunately.
I'm looking at buying 2 ovens. One is over 3kw and needs to have the fusing job done. The other is under 3kw and a simple conventional plug.
The current installed Neff is apparently under 3kw and yet my father says that the oven was not plugged in with a conventional plug. Can anybody explain to me the likelihood of what has happened here (different plug etc) or whether my father is mistaken?
Will I need to order the over 3kw and have it fused or will a simple plug one work, or is it a third option of neither working that I'm unaware of?
(I know this is electrics but if someone can direct me or explain here the ease of which / cost to replace the Neff oven door as an alternative option that would also be appreciated, thanks)
My view has always been that any device containing a 13A fuse is not suitable for for 3KW heating devices. Personally I'd prefer to see a 'close to 3KW' oven on its own feed and a local 20A double pole switch. My preference, others views will vary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back