Replacing built-under oven with new one - need minor works cert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We discovered yesterday (Christmas Eve) that the lower oven of our AEG built-under double oven wouldn't come on.

I could find out what heating element it has and replace that (I did this with the oven element in my daughter's free-standing cooker last year and it cost me less than a tenner to fix - dit I digress ...) however the fan in the upper oven conked out years ago and the light hasn't worked for ages either, so the CFO has decided we'll have a new oven.

The existing oven is on its own circuit from the CU, protedted by a 32A MCB. There is a double-pole 'cooker switch' in the kitchen.

I'm happy enough (and competent enough) to remove the old oven and re-wire the new and I'm also happy that the new oven is a lower power rating than the old, so the circuit will be fine.

Saying that I can re-wire the new oven onto the existing circuit with no alterations required, would I need to have an electrician certify the work and issue a 'Minor Works Certificate' or is it okay to undertake this work without one?

If we went with the second option and subsequently sold the house, we could simply state that the wiring was 'not up to current standards' or issue an indemnity certificate?

If we need to get an electrician to certify the job, we might as well get them to install the oven in the first place - yes? Any idea of an installation cost - £50??

Thanks folks and Merry Christmas,

XRD

Sponsored Links
You can do this yourself if you feel it's safe. It does not require certification as you are merely connecting equipment to an existing circuit.

Merry Christmas to you too & Happy New year!

Thanks Chivers - that's kinda what I thought.

Some websites though (protecting their backs?) suggest that you need a sparky to issue a certificate whilst others say not.

All the best for '23

XRD

As Chivers says - "If you feel it is safe".

Strictly speaking the circuit should be tested to ensure that it is as safe as possible. Maybe the earth is not connected, for example.

Then, as the circuit has been tested the results might as well be recorded - on a certificate.

As you are doing the work, you may certify it.

Sponsored Links
As Chivers says - "If you feel it is safe".

Strictly speaking the circuit should be tested to ensure that it is as safe as possible. Maybe the earth is not connected, for example.

Then, as the circuit has been tested the results might as well be recorded - on a certificate.

As you are doing the work, you may certify it.

... even if not Part P qualified?

If yes, where do I get the certificate blanks from?

XRD

even if not Part P qualified?
Part P is a section of the Building Regulations that requires that electrical work is done safely.
A few types of electrical work require notification. Replacing a cooker is not one of them.

where do I get the certificate blanks from?
Plenty of places, such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corporation-TC2-Electrical-Installation-Certificate/dp/B002ST8IY6/
Electrical certificates can be completed by anyone competent to do so and can be purchased by anyone.

Testing of installations has been included in the wiring regulations since 1882. Certificates since 1939.

... even if not Part P qualified?

If yes, where do I get the certificate blanks from?

XRD
Free of charge here

No such thing. Part P is one sentence in the building regs not a qualification.
Try telling that to all those who went through the Part P training and on site assessments when Part P was first a thing.

Try telling that to all those who went through the Part P training and on site assessments when Part P was first a thing.
You mean try telling them they were conned.

Did they get false paperwork I wonder?

You mean try telling them they were conned.

Did they get false paperwork I wonder?
In the early days it was the only way the planning departments approved electricians in my area.
Before you start another of your nasty sets of posts which get deleted, one of my friends is a retired planning officer and has backed this up several times. A photo copy of the cert would be expected as part of the planning process.

The only one I have seen is a City and Guilds, he is my Nephews friend and was fortunate enough to have free run of my nephews vacant house during major renovation as his assessment site.

Hi,

We discovered yesterday (Christmas Eve) that the lower oven of our AEG built-under double oven wouldn't come on.

I could find out what heating element it has and replace that (I did this with the oven element in my daughter's free-standing cooker last year and it cost me less than a tenner to fix - dit I digress ...) however the fan in the upper oven conked out years ago and the light hasn't worked for ages either, so the CFO has decided we'll have a new oven.

The existing oven is on its own circuit from the CU, protedted by a 32A MCB. There is a double-pole 'cooker switch' in the kitchen.

I'm happy enough (and competent enough) to remove the old oven and re-wire the new and I'm also happy that the new oven is a lower power rating than the old, so the circuit will be fine.

Saying that I can re-wire the new oven onto the existing circuit with no alterations required, would I need to have an electrician certify the work and issue a 'Minor Works Certificate' or is it okay to undertake this work without one?

If we went with the second option and subsequently sold the house, we could simply state that the wiring was 'not up to current standards' or issue an indemnity certificate?

If we need to get an electrician to certify the job, we might as well get them to install the oven in the first place - yes? Any idea of an installation cost - £50??

Thanks folks and Merry Christmas,

XRD
A sane Electrician won't attend a job for £50. At least around £80 (exclusive of any materials) would be more realistic.

In the early days it was the only way the planning departments approved electricians in my area.
Before you start another of your nasty sets of posts which get deleted, one of my friends is a retired planning officer and has backed this up several times. A photo copy of the cert would be expected as part of the planning process.

The only one I have seen is a City and Guilds, he is my Nephews friend and was fortunate enough to have free run of my nephews vacant house during major renovation as his assessment site.
So the planning dept can’t read one sentence either. As has been said never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back