New Oven tripping switch on RCD

• Thread starter Greenbrigade
  • Start date
G

Greenbrigade

We’ve just had a range cooked professionally installed. However at certain times it’s causing the switch on the rcd to trip. This seems mostly to happen when the main oven is heating up. A different electrician looked at the system before we got the oven installed and said it shouldn’t be a problem so I’m not really sure what to do? Any ideas or anything I can try? TIA for your help.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing this is a brand new cooker and not a second-hand one?

Oven elements are surrounded by a material that can absorb moisture. Usually this will dry out, if you can run the oven for periods of time before the RCD trips.
If that doesn't work, then you need to get whoever supplied it to repair or replace the faulty part.

You say it mostly happens when the main oven is heating up & as TTC says it may just need the element to dry out if the appliance has not been stored properly, but if it happens at other times then that suggests some other component is faulty that trips the RCD when the oven warms up in which case you should ask whoever supplied the oven, not the installer, to repair or replace the oven.

Thanks for the replies so far. One thing I didn’t mention is that when the oven goes it is also taking out the electrics in the living room. Should this be happening or should the oven have its own separate power supply?

Sponsored Links
I suppose it could be cumulative leakage, not an element fault. Maybe "seems mostly to happen when the main oven is heating up" is a coincidence. I bet there's a SMPSU inside the cooker for the electronics.

How easy would it be to put the cooker on its own RCBO?

I guess that the best idea of not having the cooker circuit RCD protected at all would be a PITA to arrange....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back