New oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone could help, I’ve got a oven with plug on it which is plugged in behind the oven
4DCE24A8-5D32-42AF-A4D0-07A27D126B25.jpeg

Which has a switch to turn on and off on the wall
DA2E381B-7BC8-431F-91B4-51707948883B.jpeg

My new oven is hard wired so needs to be wired in, how does this work and is it a big job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a dedicated cooker circuit from your consumer unit / fuse board ?
If so ,what is currently connected to it ?
And what is the KW rating of the new oven ?

The new one is 3.45KW

Will have to test it out to see if it’s got its own circuit

I’ve been advised by a electrician to put a plug on the new oven instead of wiring it in as it’s only just over the 13 amp, the oven is 3.45KW and said it will be fine, is this safe and won’t cause no damage?

Sponsored Links
I would advise against it.

Whilst it can be argued that it is technically acceptable, (some) plugs don't really like a full 13A, let alone a bit more.

Thanks for the replies

Do you know if there’s much work involved in changing a plug socket around that’s connected to a fused spur to be able to hard wire it in instead of a plug?

Thanks for the replies

Do you know if there’s much work involved in changing a plug socket around that’s connected to a fused spur to be able to hard wire it in instead of a plug?
Probably not much work. But you still are limited to 13A max, which is more than the oven’s rating.
13A is the largest fuse for an FCU, or a BS1363 plug.

Do you have a dedicated cooker circuit from your consumer unit / fuse board ?
If so ,what is currently connected to it ?
And what is the KW rating of the new oven ?

The oven is on the same circuit as 4 double plug sockets in the kitchen and the oven is 3.45Kw

That “switch” on the wall is a switched FCU and will need to be replaced with a 20amp double pole switch. Then you can hard wire the oven in.

I’ve had an electrician around today to give a quote and he said it’s a fairly big job and will cost around £200

He said the biggest problem is the circuit the oven is on at the moment is shared with 4 other plug sockets so would have to use a new circuit and feed new wire from the electric box to the oven which involes drilling through walls and kitchen cupboards to get there

I did ask could he not take the plug sockets off the circuit and put to another a new one leaving just the oven to be able to change to 16 amp but he said it’s not possible?

Does this all sound right?

Could you not buy an oven that was the same rating as your old one which has a plug?

Do you have an electric hob ?
A picture of your consumer unit showing the circuit breakers and what each one supply's would be helpful.

Oven make and model number would be a help. Some lower capacity ovens can be plugged in but these come with a 13a fused moulded plug on.

Contact the oven brand to get confirmation of the requirements. But actually this should be in the reading material with it.

Like Terry says need to see if circuit 16a or 32a as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back