New oven...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a new oven and gas hob, they use significantly less power then the old ones. (Old ones probably around 20 years old)

Set up for old oven hob is 32A dedicated circuit with oven, gas hob ignition and a single socket.

The oven didn't come with cables (Beko BQE222X). It's total power consumption is 2.4 W Beko:s manuals recommend the following cabling...

Oven: H052-FG 3 X 1.5mm
Hob: H05V2V2-F 3 X 0.75mm

Which is fine... I can get it easily enough. However due to the new kit drawing much less power than the old kit, I am wondering if the 32A circuit breaker is too "high" and if something went wrong would the recommended cabling actually be able to cope with that much, and not melt and be a fire hazard? Shoild.i change the circuit breaker for a lower amp-age? I'd read elsewhere that 10mm cabling should be used on ovens for this reason. (assuming for higher powered and older ovens)?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if the 32A circuit breaker is too "high" and if something went wrong would the recommended cabling actually be able to cope with that much, and not melt and be a fire hazard? Shoild.i change the circuit breaker for a lower amp-age?
It would probably be alright; can't tell on the internet.

Either replace the MCB or use 2.5mm² flex.

I'd read elsewhere that 10mm cabling should be used on ovens for this reason. (assuming for higher powered and older ovens)?
Rubbish.

With 32A MCB, 4mm² would be adequate.

Sponsored Links
Set up for old oven hob is 32A dedicated circuit with oven, gas hob ignition and a single socket.

The oven didn't come with cables (Beko BQE222X). It's total power consumption is 2.4 W Beko:s manuals recommend the following cabling...

As an alternative, you could consider swapping the oven outlet for a decent quality twin 13amp socket (plus quality plugs) and just plug both items in. rather than two different flex sizes, 1.5mm will be good for both. The 32amp MCB will be fine, or can be swapped if you wish for a 20amp, or even a 16amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back