NEW PC + ISP + ROUTER MUST I WAIT & WAIT & WAIT &amp

sorry didnt notice your double post- the usb thing is the wifi client for the pc- you do not need this during set up, put it and the cd with it to one side for now.

You will be connecting the pc and router via the ethernet cable. Look for the ethernet port on the back of the pc.

I see that as i write this you have reposted. Will read you 12.09 post and then edit this one

EDIT_______________________

ok the info one the overclockers site is for people that have a router with no modem so ignore it

You say that you connected the telephone cable to the belkin which means that you have a modem/router- good- connect it

The yellow port is normally for connecting to a cable modem- ignore it- I havent seen a yellow port and adsl (telephone) port before on the same box.

Next connect the yellow lead to one of the four ports (doesn.t matter which) and the other endto the pcs network card.

wait 10 seconds and open Internet Explorer (aka IE)

You should get a page not found error

In the address bar type

and hit return

This should take you to the belkin config page

If this does not happen then follow my 11.54 post

if it does follow the 6.47 post

Additionally you will have a series of lights on the front of the router- untill set up I would expect the adsl light to be red or yellow but the 1234 ethernet lights to be flashing green

Green is good

if you post the model number of the belkin this will help us to be more specific

once the above is done we can work on setting up the usb wifi client

BTW the old modem MUST be unplugged in order for the new one to work- two modems cannot work at the same time

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Nice,

I hate to bring you bad news, but looking at the Belkin N1, it looks as though it is a router designed to get it's "internet connection" via a RJ45 network socket, hooked to an external, seperate modem.

The old modem that Onetel supplied has (correct me if I'm wrong) a USB connector, and therefore isn't any good for this.

To be honest your best bet (easiest) will probably be to return the Belkin and get a unit that has everthing in one (phone line in, wifi and wired network connections out).

Asking for a "ADSL wifi router" should get you something that will be suitable, anywhere like Currys or PC world will have something suitable.

Of course you can purchase a modem with RJ45 interface, and use your current Belkin router, but that will be (a bit) more involved.

Cheers for now,

Colin

Thank you Colin.
I think you are right. But I wont get my own, I think I will just wait for the changeover and our new ISP's router and bits and bobs and just take it from there.
Thanks to you all. I dont like to give up easy but we really need to get the new PC up and running and connected and at the moment it is doing nothing.
FOR SALE: BELKIN N WIRELESS ROUTERAre there any interested parties?? no reasonable offer refused.

Yes, sounds like a plan - one supplied by TalkTalk should have at least some of the setting pre-configured for you, my BT one did.

One option you could consider is to use the Onetel USB modem with the new machine (ideally only short-term, as they aren't particularly secure).

A quick Google should yeild up the drivers for it (put them on a CD or flash stick to move to the new machine).

Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
dont take it back just yet. the n1 vision is available as an adsl modem router as well as a router only.

besides you said that you managed to plug the telephone lead in. This implies that that it is a modem as well. There is no where to plug rj11 telephone plugs on a router only!!!

it is a very very nice piece of kit

www.google.com/m/products/specs?sou...elkin+n1&channel=new&cid=17012526049695665511

just try again in the morning.

sorry about typos. gf complained about noise from laptop fan in bed so i am using opera 10 beta for windows mobile on an old htc blue angel phone. best mobile browser i have evr used, only just downloaded it...

Edit-------------------

BTW I guess that the new pc is windows 7

Reading you posts it does seem you have wrong router.
There are two home routers one for use with a telephone line and one for use with cable. Seems you have the one for cable. My daughter made mistake other way around and before broad band bought a modem to connect to cable instead of a NIC card.

I use talktalk and although their router is not the best for seeing what is going on it did cure my dropping out problems and there is no point in having an A1 wireless network if the whole network does not connect to internet.

When the router arrived it was all pre-set true plug and go for wired connection. Previous I had two routers one wired only and one wireless a Zoom and Belkin but the HUAWEI supplied by talktalk keeps broad band connection a lot better. It would of course depend on distance to exchange the others may be fine if exchange is close.

All three routers were accessed through a web browser and each one had a different IP address. The HUAWEI is 192.168.1.1 and this did cause a problem with the network hard drive and I had to manually change the address on hard drive.

I was lucky I did an OCN course "Access to IT" at local collage before going to Uni which did do some of the network protocol and I have still had problems getting some bits going.

I remember a number of students all met at my house to use wireless broad band. We tired to auto connect and failed. We carefully set all the addresses as shown in college and still failed. Tried auto again and all worked. So don't give up it all seems to sort itself out.

I found talktalk help very good. Non of this switch it off and back on again. I took the router less deal as already had one and when I was having problems they sent me their router free of charge. And it did cure problem.

the OP says that he was able to plug the telephone cable in !?!?!?

Then again though he mention a yellow rj45 port!!!!

Think we need the model number from the underside

the OP says that he was able to plug the telephone cable in !?!?!?

Then again though he mention a yellow rj45 port!!!!

Think we need the model number from the underside

I would agree. Seems odd to have both cable and telephone connections. I will admit no cable in this area so don't really know much about it. However PC World in Chester still sells routers for cable systems yet only Liverpool has cable.

Having been caught out once though it seemed the same in reverse. Looking at picture on yellow bit it says "To modem" and cable TV does have a box which distributes telephone, TV. and internet which may be called a modem! Although I suppose opposite to normal modem it take digital and converts to analogue to TV.

But by now he likely has talktalk router!

[

cable TV does have a box which distributes telephone, TV. and internet which may be called a modem! Although I suppose opposite to normal modem it take digital and converts to analogue to TV.

But by now he likely has talktalk router!

In the parts of London that I work, previously NTL or Blueyonder, now Virgin Media: The tv and broadband are supplied over "coax" from the green box at the end of the road- which has fibre optics. The telephone is plain old telephone cable, I guess from another green box.

In the home the BB is distributed (from the coax modem) via a seperate router. Icidentally the Set top box can function as a modem.

Unless I lived next door to a BT exchange I would always opt for cable (other things being equall). I live 2.2 miles from my local BT exchange and would max at under 2 meg on ADSL1, with Virgin I can have 50 meg (if I wanna pay through the nose), currently I have 10 meg for the same price that 2 meg would cost from BT.

If the OP has indeed got the wrong router he could still use it (plugged into the TALKTALK one) and get vastly superior range but then again If his home isn't that big it is possibly overkill.

In my small house I have three wifi routers and at some point anyone of them will stop boadcasting for brief periods, so one of the others takes over until the strongest stops playing silly beggers.

Where I live no such thing as cable. I have often wondered with the changes in TV licence. At one time you needed a licence to have a TV set now only to use it to receive "Broadcast" TV signals either through wireless or wired connection. Catch up TV on a PC does not need licence but live does.

So do you need a licence for cable?

So do you need a licence for cable?

If you have no tv (ie no set top box)- then no.

I do see your point though. Then again with vpns and things like myplayer you don't even need to be in the UK to watch and download BBC content

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=501131

Mind you, very soon every telephone line in the land is going to be taxed to pay to improve the ADSL network- even my cable phones, and I don't use ADSL. The irony is that it is largely the end of line that will be improved, allowing more users to have greater access- thus I have to pay to help increase congestion.

So as a non BT customer I have to subsidise their mismanagement/ under investment since they were given away.

Personally I would rather that my money was invested in a proper wimax type blanket (or similar, eg internet down power lines) that covered all of the country rather than being restricted to telephone line subscribers.

The old TV licence was no better.

Device for receiving broad cast TV signals. When I was at school that was called an aerial.

If I paint aerial black and white can I use monochrome licence?

I have already had them.
Have you got a TV?
Yes
Do you have a licence?
Yes
It's not on our records.
Look under GW7MGW.
Pardon
It's slow scan TV and I have a full amateur licence.
Oh what about normal TV. Not got one. OK bye.

Daft twits I am sure they can tell difference between 144MHz and 650MHz aerials?

Firstly thanks for all your replies.
My new PC is now up and running and what I thought would be the biggest problem 'THE ROUTER', which is the one received from Talktalk, by the way, has been an absolute doddle. The PC just detected it and the rest is history. The real, real, big problem I am having now is WINDOWS 7.
I expected that much of my software from my old PC (XP) would not be compatible for WINDOWS 7, well I was wrong because NONE of it seems to be compatible.
I have tried installing my camera bits and bobs and software....NO DRIVER FOUND.
Ok, my own camera is older so I have installed another newer camera, software etc etc and the same message NO DRIVER FOUND. I have downloaded the drived from 'Vivicam' and still I am getting the same message.
Am I correct, is this because I am running WINDOWS 7 ???
Anyone got any suggestions, I have spent all night simply trying to connect my camera and upload my photos and its proving impossible.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Might sound silly but have you rebooted rather than pressing the shutdown button- this often puts the pc into sleep or hibernate.

Were the new drivers xp, vista or windows 7 drivers?

When you plugged the cameras in were you presented with an option to search on the web for drivers?

Thank you oops but if you see my other post you will see I have now connected the Vivitar camera ok.
But please see my new post for driver download site for canon camera.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back