MODEM OR MASTER SOCKET SERIOUS CONNECTION ISSUES, HELP !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut this story short, we signed to a new ISP "TALKTALK" phone package etc, 4 months ago. about 6 weeks ago the internet kept disconnecting but this didnt seem a real issue as we were able to immediately reconnect. Then over a period of about 2 weeks the reconnecting was taking longer until it got to 2 hours to reconnect. After 3 million calls to Talktalk and following their instruction to the letter the internect connected again. But to be honest NOTHING was any different, all their instruction were just a series of tests and trials. So back up and running, then last week it started again only by last Thursday it just would not reconnect. I have moved the PC to the room were the Master socket is located and plugged everything into that as told to do by TT. Thursday evening it happened again. Another 500 calls to TT and they have decided to send me new router. Today I switched on just in the hope and nothing, then after several hours and having give up I just left everything switched on. Low and behold this evening I noticed the internet light and DSL light were lit. Ha, I was connected, dont ask me how. So now I can get on here and ask your advice.
I have a desktop PC. Into the master socket (test socket) I have a microfilter, into this is the phone and the router cable. What is happening? I dont want to start forking money out as I could be replacing the wrong thing. Is it the Master Socket?? Is it my router, which is a D-Link provided by Talk Talk. Anyone got any ideas, suggestions.
Please help as I am afraid that if this disconnects I wont be able to reconnect again.
DIYNOT has helped so many times in the past so I am hopeful of a resolution from someone.
:oops: :rolleyes: :oops: :rolleyes: :oops: :rolleyes: :oops: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Our old ISP was Onetel and we had a modem, when we switched to TalkTalk (who own Onetel) they sent us a router.
Yes we have connection problems with Onetel but nothing as serious as this.
What I dont understand is how it can work one minute and not the next. Surely something either works or it dosnt.
As you can see I am still online. I really wont be disconnecting this tonight for fear of not being able to reconnect tomorrow. But then it could just drop the line itself and I still may not be able to reconnect.

Just to say sorry my SUBJECT HEADER should really read "ROUTER OR MASTER SOCKET" not modem.
Also I did not disconnect last night and still on line. This is really puzzleing me.

Sponsored Links
Our old ISP was Onetel and we had a modem, when we switched to TalkTalk (who own Onetel) they sent us a router.
Yes we have connection problems with Onetel but nothing as serious as this.
What I dont understand is how it can work one minute and not the next. Surely something either works or it dosnt.
As you can see I am still online. I really wont be disconnecting this tonight for fear of not being able to reconnect tomorrow. But then it could just drop the line itself and I still may not be able to reconnect.

Plug a wired phone ito your master socket, dial 1 and listen for any crackles on the line. There should be only a very low hiss audible. Any crackling at all can result in the broadband dropping out.

The phone was fine, no crackles, everything is still into the master socket and fingers crossed still connected. But I am terrified to move the PC back to the room it should be in as I really feel it wont connect, but having said that it wouldnt connect in the living room for 3 days solid trying. I just need to know is this just one of those things, is my router, could it have been the micro filter, etc etc. When my new router arrives we are having a new master socket fitted in the study where the PC will live and then everything will be as it is connected now. but what is normally the most common reason for it being disconnected for such a long period of time?

but what is normally the most common reason for it being disconnected for such a long period of time?

I personally have not seen enough broadband problems to make a call on this, others may be able to advise.

From what you have told us it could be either the telephone line or the router....make sure any router you have is running the manufacturers latest firmware version. Also see if the new master socket improves things.

I'm presuming any other telephones in use have suitable ADSL filters fitted to their points.

The phone was fine, no crackles, everything is still into the master socket and fingers crossed still connected. But I am terrified to move the PC back to the room it should be in as I really feel it wont connect, but having said that it wouldnt connect in the living room for 3 days solid trying. I just need to know is this just one of those things, is my router, could it have been the micro filter, etc etc. When my new router arrives we are having a new master socket fitted in the study where the PC will live and then everything will be as it is connected now. but what is normally the most common reason for it being disconnected for such a long period of time?

You can run a long cable from your router to the master socket if you wish.

To Gees, thanks but that was the way it was originally and I feared this was the problem so moved it to the room with the master socket.
The internet again ran fine last night. It was still connected this morning, then when I arrived home it had disconnected. I done all the usual things and it would not reconnect, again after a few hours I returned to the room and hey presto it had come on, so its on again at the moment but it looks like this took several hours to connect.
Now does anyone have any comments on that. I am totally puzzled.

I am not using an extention lead at the moment. Everything is now plugged into the Master Socket.
By that I mean, the cover has been removed from the Master Socket to reveal the test socket, then, into the test socket is a micro filter, from the micro filter comes the telephone line and the router line and thats about it, everything in very inconviently sitting in my living room at the moment. What still puzzles me is the fact that although I managed to connect again this evening it took about 3 hours. I didnt fiddle with anything just switched everything off and then back on and waited and waited and it just suddenly hours later connects.

Can you login to the router, and check the logs? that may give some clue as to what the problem is.

Well since you all last replied, yes, my internet has been offline once again.
On Saturday, hurray, my new router arrived, as soon as it was activated it connected immediately.
My first thought 'so it was the router after all'.
This worked great throughout Saturday as my family furiously caught up on their emails etc etc.
On Sunday I paid an independent ex BT engineer to replace my Master Socket. I wanted this to be put in the study and we would put our desktop PC with 'new' router, back in there and all would be fine.
The engineer fitted the new socket and we connected everything up, but, ALAS the internet would not connect.
He tried a BT home hub which he carried wih him and this would not connect. So now, the old router wouldnt connect, the new router wouldnt connect and the engineers router wouldnt connect.
There was nothing he could do and said there was no broadband coming into the house at that moment and we are only receiving it intermittently.
So back to Talktalk, blah blah blah.
Yes, they say they will instruct OpenReach to come out and check the exchange.
Right, now I am totally puzzled. Who is correct. Can we really receive intermittant signals and if so what is the solution. Is it Talktalks fault????
Thank you for the replies. If I respond immediately it is because I cannot connect so thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Back