New pendant light not working, please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently moved house and there was a broken pendant light fitting in the hallway (I have attached a picture to show what I mean, there was just the holder and the cables but no actual light fitting attached to the ceiling). I bought a new pendant light fitting and successfully removed the old one and fitted the new one. There were 3 cables, the green earth one, the red live one and black neutral one which I attached into the correct places (red into the middle section labelled loop, green into the earth section at the side and the black into the neutral section beside the blue cable that came from the pendant light). After spending over 2 hours watching YouTube videos on how to correctly do this I was so happy when I had completed it. To my massive frustration the light wont turn on. I have definitely fitted it correctly and securely enough so I dont know what's wrong. All of the other lights in the house work except this one. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Vanessa

Attachments

• 20230118_093230.jpg
    20230118_093230.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
You have 4 connections, earth on the clamp, neutral in the outer three terminal block, line in the outer two terminal block, (which seem wrong way around but would no affect how it works) centre is not used for this lamp.

red into the middle section labelled loop
That seems wrong looking at pictures, it should go to the two terminal block.

Thanks for your reply. The photo is of what the cables were like before I fitted the new one. I havent got a photo of the way I fitted it today but will take one tomorrow morning when its brighter. I'm just wondering what could be causing just that one light not to work if all the other lights are working and I have fitted the wires all in the right place, could it be the switch that's faulty or something else? Thanks again

I've taken a photo of the way I have wired it. Does it look correct? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20230118_224351.jpg
    20230118_224351.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Thanks, sorry I have no experience with this stuff at all. Do I just need to move the red wire to that location that you've highlighted and it should be fixed? Or have I also put the black wire in wrongly? Thanks

Thanks, sorry I have no experience with this stuff at all. Do I just need to move the red wire to that location that you've highlighted and it should be fixed? Or have I also put the black wire in wrongly? Thanks
Just move the red wire - it should sit right next to the brown wire.
The black wire and the green wire are in the correct places.

As said above just move the red wire ,but turn off the power at your fuseboard or consumer unit first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back