New people moved in up the road, must think they are still in the city...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New people built very tall block gate posts, and are now seeking retrospective planning permission. The main part of the planning letter is a sob story, which sounds complete nonsense. Do planners believe this? It does not affect me as I am quite a long way up the road, I only checked as a friend used to live there. Here a part of it:

upload_2021-11-30_11-43-15.png

I've been on this road for 4 years, and lived in the village for 20 years, and never seen or heard any bottle smashing at all. And my friend never mentioned it either. In fact, it is not even a route to any pub, shop or anywhere you could buy bottles, so very likely totally made up to try to justify building massive ugly gate posts that look totally out of place, not to mention block the view for the neighbours as they exit their garden. Unless they have enemies, which means they will just fling the bottles over the gate anyway.

They have builders vans on the drive, so very likely the only reason they want fortress gates is to reduce the chances of their vans being stolen. But, again, friend had her trailer on the drive for about 6 months when the house was empty, and that was never touched.

Weird.

Sponsored Links
Do planners believe this?
Yes it's part of wider "amenity" which allows for ASB issues to be designed out via planning. But normally this has to be balanced with other planning criteria - ie dealing with one thing (ASB) should not make another thing (appearance) worse.

Anyone can comment on the application, perhaps giving an alternative opinion on the necessity/validity of the proposal and impact it may make

Sponsored Links
Walked past at lunchtime, can you spot the "country gate posts"? I little bit bigger than the neighbour's.

IMG_20211130_132413790_HDR.jpg

I bet they put lions or eagles on top of them.

You could always contest the PP, on the grounds that it is a fast main road and these days they insist that they should be able to pull into the drive, before getting out to open gates, plus the fact they seriously restrict sight lines when trying to exit the drive.

You could always contest the PP, on the grounds that it is a fast main road and these days they insist that they should be able to pull into the drive, before getting out to open gates, plus the fact they seriously restrict sight lines when trying to exit the drive.

I know, they will struggle - I assume they only want gates shut at night.

People can still throw bottles over the gate, what a poor reason.

Might as well complain about snipers in the field opposite, or herds of pigs charging through the front garden.
Sad really, some people don't care about their surroundings so long as they are happy in their bubble.
I wonder what they will build next.

Screenshot_20211130-190306~2.png

I hope for your sake they paint them. I can just picture the tiles, you know what it's like when you have 3 perfectly good boxes left over from when you did your bathroom in 1984:

Screenshot_20211130-185938.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back