New people moved in up the road, must think they are still in the city...

Sponsored Links
don't think so no, not noticed when driving that way.

Bit unfair of those knocking them for their spelling and grammar when we don't know their background, past or circumstance. I don't think I'm better than anybody and I hate it when people think they are.

As for the gates I think they have a reasonable justification due to the proximity to (presumably) a classified road, and with that their worries over privacy and security. I base that on two things. First of all I also live in a village and there is a chip shop not far from a pub -- opposite them is a small row of houses of which a few had tall conifers for privacy. One removed them and applied for permission to erect 6ft fences on very similar reasons stated in the first post. It was approved by the local council here. I've also driven a lot around rural Lincolnshire and there are countless roads like this with houses set back from the road. I can think of plenty of them that have large gates at the front. Don't know the background but somebody approved the newer ones.

I'm not saying I'd like the gates up either, as - like yourself - I've lived here a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah, some people like gates. I don't really have a major issue with these gate posts (but do think they look a bit silly), my issue is with making up a massive sob story about why they are needed - 4 punctures, smashed windscreens, scared wife - this isn't Romford!

Also, they obviously started without permission, but if they were so concerned about security, why did they take so long? The planning notice only just went up, but the gate posts have been there for a couple of months already. There are certainly no gates sitting on their drive waiting to be installed. Plus, I doubt they would even have gates really, as they have 4 vehicles, including a landrover and large truck, on their drive, and gates would make parking and exiting their drive pretty tricky.

They probably had a load of blocks left over from a job and decided to start building a fortress.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, some people like gates. I don't really have a major issue with these gate posts (but do think they look a bit silly), my issue is with making up a massive sob story about why they are needed - 4 punctures, smashed windscreens, scared wife - this isn't Romford!

6 punctures! I have no doubt it's been erm, 'dressed up' a little to add to their cause but it does come across a bit full on. They must really, really want them!

When the council assess the application, I doubt the 'sob story' would make any difference to their decision anyway.

Oh yeah, 6. Just read again - I forgot about the "we're the last house on the street". As if vandals go out attacking houses on the ends of the row. But .. they are not the last house really, there are 3 more just next to them. These 3 all have much more exposed driveways and nobody has ever experienced vandalism along this road, or broken bottles.
Just total BS. That's what's so annoying.

I can see why some people put in fake planning permission now ... I know a person who hated their neighbours, so put in planning for a massive, overbearing extension, just to make their neighbours angry - they had no intention of ever building it.

Oh, another odd thing - somebody has had the Google Streetview for that part removed. It's as if they are trying to hide something, ie. how high those hedges were. Pretty sure there were not very tall hedges there like they said - I helped my friend move a few bits out and do remember much at the front. In fact.... Rightmove ...

Can't see the front, but no sign of glass on the last house on the street, that is set further back from the houses on both sides

upload_2021-12-1_9-11-35.png

I have gates and I can fully understand others wanting to have them, but the reasons given and the heights wanted are just a nonsense. When I moved in here, one of my first jobs was to just add a rough temporary barrier across the end of the drive, to keep the dog(s) safe inside, prevent people using my drive to turn around and make the place generally more secure. People are much less inclined to risk entering your property, if they have to come through gates - especially so if you have a warning about dogs on the gate.

At one time, I even had an alarm linked to the gates and a camera connected to the TV, because my then disabled partner spent a lot of time in the kitchen, at the back of the house and would be unable to hear anyone knocking at the front door.

"The Parish Council objects to this planning application as it is concerned, from a safety perspective, about vehicles exiting the highway and entering the drive when the gates are closed. There also appears to be no justification for exceeding the permitted parameters for front boundaries."

No other comments

"The Parish Council objects to this planning application as it is concerned, from a safety perspective, about vehicles exiting the highway and entering the drive when the gates are closed.

No other comments
There could be electric gates installed to counter that objection?

They would then open automatically for any vehicle or person on foot that crossed the detection beam, defeating the point of having gates, or else every legitimate user would have to have a remote control?

They would then open automatically for any vehicle or person on foot that crossed the detection beam, defeating the point of having gates, or else every legitimate user would have to have a remote control?

Or a separate small gate for people on foot, as we have.

Our neighbour has a remote which works their gates from quite a distance and I have a cctv with a switched output that turns the drive lights on when it reads our car plate or any plate programmed in so will also open gates if required

The building control officers may be active in requiring the gates to be certified as being safe in the way they operate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back