new plaster bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my bathroom skimmed, it has been 4 days now and it seems to have dried out as it's completely pale. We need to paint the walls asap, I have read a few posts and believe I should use a 30% emulsion mix and possibly another before painting 'normally'. As it's a bathroom I'm guessing I need to use non water-based paints, what mixes and top coats would be correct for this?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just a word of advise, if you are tiling you bathroom then don't paint it.

I did this and the tiles just dropped off pulling all the paint off with them so i had to strip the paint off back down to the plaster and start again. You are ok to tile straight onto a plastered wall just make sure you use a water proof adhesive. Which most are now anyway.

If you are section tiling then just leave the section free from paint. If you are painting use a cheap white emulsion, B&Q sell a new plaster paint now which is really cheap ( about £15 for 10 ltrs) and give it two coats. Then just make sure your top coat is a bathroom paint.

Hope this helps!!!!!! :D

Hi dizzles
Just read your post.. If you read the instructions on the side of your tin of paint it will tell you the the amount of water to add for new plaster... it is normally 1 part paint to 5 parts water, so the first coat will look hideous.

The best paint to use on new plaster would be a super matt emulsion. But i found this isn't vital, as long as its emulsion and watered down it'll be fine.

After this you can paint it with what you like. For a bathroom i would suggest a waterbased (acrylic) eggshell. It is easier to work with than your oil-based paints and plenty durable enough for a steamy bathroom.
A silk paint would be fine too.

I have a new website ............

Cheers

Moderator's note:
Advertising link removed

Mod Rupert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back