New Plaster Fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently had our kitchen and bedroom artex ceilings skimmed. Both ceilings were left to dry out for 3 weeks before painting.

The kitchen was fully re-decorated by a trade painter with no problems. However when I mist coated the bedroom ceiling this morning part of the ceiling cracked and fell away after about 20 minutes.

I have spoken with the plasterer and he is going to come out this week to look at the issue and re-do the patch, his thoughts are the skim has reacted with the artex in some way. He has reassured me that both ceilings were bonded correctly and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt given the kitchen seems fine.

The old artex is still intact underneath.

Would it be possible that one area has not bonded properly for any reason?

Naturally I have my doubts that the rest of the ceiling could soon follow, if that was the case would this have already fallen away like the patch that has failed?

Thanks.

Attachments

• A08063AE-528D-428B-B4F3-4F92E94654E3.jpeg
    A08063AE-528D-428B-B4F3-4F92E94654E3.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
I had similar ceilings done and was warned before hand it can come down. The only sure way is new plasterboard. Lucky it was fine and never did come down.

I had similar ceilings done and was warned before hand it can come down. The only sure way is new plasterboard. Lucky it was fine and never did come down.

Yeah reading around it does seem there is a risk that it can come down. We had similar ceilings done last year in a box room and the living room which are fine so hopefully we’ve just been unlucky with that patch.

I’ve checked the joists above where it feel and no signs of damp which could have impacted it either.

Update - I had a closer look this morning and parts of the ceiling sound hollow when knocked, part of the ceiling also moves when pressed.

It all seems indicative to me that the bonding has failed or the new skim has not sealed to the old artex properly?

Sponsored Links
nothing holds artex to plasterboard in the first place.
why any plasterer would skim over whole artexed ceilings is beyond me.
it would be interesting to know if he just pva’d the ceiling first?

nothing holds artex to plasterboard in the first place.
why any plasterer would skim over whole artexed ceilings is beyond me.
it would be interesting to know if he just pva’d the ceiling first?

He reassured me that he did and as mentioned the kitchen ceiling seems fine, however now I have my doubts. I'll check the rest of the bedroom ceiling to see if other areas sound hollow but there are definite patches that seem to have blown already.

He did the kitchen first, so I wonder if he ran out of PVA and has tried to get away with using a minimal amount upstairs.

The old artex is still intact where the skim has come away, so definitely an issue with the prep/skim.

pva isn’t good enough .that’s why it’s failed.
should have used blue grit or something similar.

pva isn’t good enough .that’s why it’s failed.
should have used blue grit or something similar.

Sorry pal, misunderstood your previous reply. I’ll double check but from memory he did mention PVA so it sounds like that could be the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back