new plumber after some help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have recently passed my city and guilds and a friend has asked me to help him out.

They are looking to buy a Repossessed house that has had all the radiators, bath, shower, toilet and wash basin taken out . The boiler was also removed and the airing cupboard stripped out.

As it is a 3 story house with on suite on the 3rd floor and airing cupboard on the 2nd I think that this may have been a unvented cylinder.

There are the remains of six pipes sticking out of the floor and no sign of pipes from above.

Am I right with my thinking or am i way off. Please help thanks

Sponsored Links
combi boiler? they have 6 pipes
2 C/H flow & return
1 Gas
1 Cold in
1 hot out
1 Pressure relief

plus a waste if condensing

you need to check in loft space for header tanks, as pipes may go up within studwork. Best course is to redesign sytem to customers requirements.

thanks its not a combi as the boiler was sited in the kittchen on the ground floor the tank on the second floor. if it had header tanks would the feed not come from above rather than below the tank. im thinking its a unvented as it is a five bed 3 story property around about five years old with a cloak room and kitchen on the ground floor a bathroom on the 2nd and a on suite on the 3rd this is why i have ruled out a thermostore as if my memory is right this would have to be on the 3rd floor for the on suit.

Sponsored Links
Does it matter what was there? It's all gone, so your mate can stick in whatever he wants

So has the pipework for htg etc been left underfloor etc. Suppose big problem for you is going to be working out what each set of pipes represent.
Three easiest to ID will be pri flo and ret (can blow up these)- htg ret may be teed in elsewhere. Cold main in should be easy- it will be the one with lots of water coming out when you turn stop cock on.
If it was unvented you should have a Discharge pipe (22mm min) maybe balanced cold, dhw and a htg flow pipe (as above return may go to a/c or not).
All the best, Sound like you've got something to get your teeth into as a first big project. Stay in touch

Rip out the remains of what's there and start again from scratch, it'll be much easier and saves potential issues with dodgy joints in old pipework

ok so if i start a fresh will i be able to fit a normal y plan system with the cylinder on the second floor and get water to the on suite on the 3rd floor might seem like a obvious question but being new i want to be right

as long as the header tank for the cylinder is above the third floor i.e in the loft then yes the hot water will get up to the 3rd floor, head pressure is a wonderful thing!

thanks bhm1712

its been a while since i covered this at college so your help is great in refreshing the brain cells.
will be glad to get a full time job in the trade so thinks stay at the front of the brain rather than being stored at the back lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back