New porch and proximity of door to corner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m having a new porch built to the front of my house. Sorry for the really bad technical drawing but basically a square box porch. I know I’ve seen similar “how close can a door to a corner be” too .. but this is single story porch.
MyPorch.jpg

Window 1 on right is 600mm off the floor, off the house by 460mm and is 880mm wide.
Window 3 is also off the house by 460mm, 880mm wide but is only a small opener about 400mm at the top.
Left wall, apart from small window is a solid wall with a 460mm return to front
Window 2 is full height window joining the front door.

The 1650mm opening is directly opposite the original so we want the door and window to line up with current window and door. I don’t want to get rid of old door as it is a nice old oak thing. Either side of the porch are living and dining room windows so I can’t make the porch wider. I am keeping 300mm between left/right porch wall and those windows.

The 460 just happens to be maximum porch width – opening / 2. So I used the same 460mm to space the porch windows centrally in left and right wall.

So, the front view is door and window framed by brick piers. .. and this is where I have an issue and my question. The right side pier will have the door hinge but is hanging off a 460mm x 460mm pier. OK the bottom 600mm is solid but it this a good idea? Am I worrying about nothing (as usual). I’m sure there are regs but not sure if it really applies here though? Am I expecting movement? The door and window could be fixed up into lintel. Do I really need to think of suttfin some steel into the corner.

Oh, it’s not a single skin, there will be a blockwork inner too but only a 60 mm cavity so about a 200mm corner.

Any help is really appreciated .. and I know it is my first post too.

Thanks lots, Paul

Sponsored Links
Ahhh .. just spotted a mistake on drawing o_O

Tthe 46 is 56cm/560mm. So, 560 (external) - 260 (cavity) = 200mm internal. There, much more sense. So the external pillar or pier from dwarf wall up is 560 x 560.

Wondering if I need to move this from projects to .. help (as it is really a specific question) but will post any updates here anyway.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Woody, I guess the window/door frame can also be fixed up into the lintel above. Will ensure the roofer allows for strapping down to wall and any other fixings imaginable.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
unlike most porches, it looks like someone actually put thought into design of that one! very good.

Now never mind about the garden, also that step needs work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back