(New) Porch pulling away from house

That's because at 1000mm there's solid ground which allows the 225mm concrete.
That's why fundations must be considered accordingly to the ground.
A 200mm will do for all approach will inevitably end up like the porch in this thread.
You are so wrong and out of your depth its staggering.

As people have explained. Its not so much the thickness of concrete as the width of the concrete v's the width of the masonry.
Its not so much about the lack of thickness as the ground beneath and the width of foundatuions v's the thickness of the wall.

Its also much to do with ground conditions.
Its collapsing because it is likely to be on made up ground.

Your theory that its the thickness of concrete (200mm) that is at fault is just plain wrong. Hundreds of thousands of houses are built upon less.....
As for this little nugget..
Let me explain the basics:
Some houses, especially terraced are built on what builders call "slabs".
A few years ago, instead of digging footings where the supporting walls would sit and later think about flooring, they used to pour concrete over the all area of the terrace and create a giant slab.
Then they would build on it having to bother only about screed internally as they already had the base or joists and floorboards for suspended floors.
I'm not a structural engineer but I guess that having this large surface would spread the weight and so it could be thinner than today's footings.
However, like me, a lot of us here have seen cracked properties because the slab sometimes doesn't take the weight.
It's a free lesson in basic (ancient?) construction.
Unbelievable.

Stick to gardening mate, you have not the foggiest idea. (its called a raft by the way, not a slab).

Sponsored Links
As I said, i just hope people I know don't come across you and get sinking extension.
For the rest, it is clear that you want to derail the op from having a porch built correctly.
So, op, don't listen to me but my advice is to speak to a qualified structural engineer and my bet will be that he will demand a lot more than 200mm.
I'm out of this discussion as the defrauding team is up in arms quoting one line out of z 300 pages document.

As I said, i just hope people I know don't come across you and get sinking extension.
Unlikely.
Our latest jobby...
..we have 21.2m of trenches. Just shy of twelve cubic metres of concrete was poured.

At a standard say 500mm thick foundation at 600mm wide this would equate to about seven cube, being generous with the crooked sides etc.

At times the concrete was 1m deep. Not because it needed to be but because it costs less than block-laying. As I have shown, the house foundations are about 150mm or so. Please don't comment on building related issues because you have not the first clue.

Sponsored Links
You're such a fool.
You preach paper thin concrete fundation and then proud yourself (if that's your work) in doing exactly the opposite.
You like arguing, don't you?
What a character!

If the porch in question had a 200mm concrete foundation at required depth and width,it wouldn't be falling over, even 100mm it woudn't(i'm not recommending this) it's clear that the foundation in the pictures is not even 200mm wide,depth probably barely below ground.

It all depends on the ground.
If the base is not solid the building will sink.
Hence the need to dig deeper, find solid ground, then lay the fundations.
Usually local authorities know what's required in that area and that's why I advised to contact them.
If there's mud under the fundations, no matter how wide and thick they are, the building will sink.
However, as the op has been advised to carry on rebuilding on 200mm, I expect a third thread coming up soon on the same subject.

I'm quite enjoying someone who doesn't even know the correct term for the type of foundation they are talking about, trying to show up an experienced builder who's posts all over the forum show his depth (!) of knowledge. I know who I'd believe.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back