new printer recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My printers packed in so its time for a new one. Looking for one that scans and copys as well.Any recommendations please, cost about £100.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Based on my own recent experiences I'd say the most important thing when choosing is to look at the cost of replacement cartridges for it - some printers look like a bargain but the ink is more expensive than the printer and runs out in 5 minutes. For this reason, I say avoid Lexmark or Dell (rebranded Lexmark).

(and I normally stick up for Dell!!!)

Hewlett and packard do some neat all in ones and some are under the hundred some less than £75 or cheaper. Got one myself can say i dont do a lot of printing but the original cartridges are still being used,. Had it 2yr,s this christmas. I like HP,s cos they feed the paper from the front so no need for that space consuming rear feed. They have a real small footprint unlike some all in ones which are more like lethal weapons.

I'd suggest Cannon since you can easily fill the ink cartridges from a refill kit and there is no counter in the cartridge to force you to replace it (like Epson, HP) unless you have the kit to reset the counter.

Based on a friend's experience I would avoid Brother too as they don't seem to be very reliable.

Check prices on Pricerunner.com or http://uk.shopping.com and Froogle.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Pewit said:
I'd suggest Cannon since you can easily fill the ink cartridges from a refill kit and there is no counter in the cartridge to force you to replace it (like Epson, HP) unless you have the kit to reset the counter.

Been using HP's for ages now, but it never 'forced' me to replace the cartridges. Telling me it's getting low (days - weeks) before it's really empty: yes :)

From experience HP printers seem to be a lot more expensive when it comes to changing carts, unless you use 'compatible' types. Purchased a printer for £60.00 approx, cost £40.00 for two new carts. Looked in catalogue. new printer £54.00. Changed to Epson in the end, much cheaper to run. Also the Epson's don't seem to dry up during extended periods of non use, unlike the HP's. Mainly because the print heads on the HP is part of the cartridge. Epson have a seperate printhead, hence the cheaper cartridges.

i have an epson, it also has a "facility" to clean its head (you just tell it to do it, and it does)

and through experiance, i will never use again "copy cat " ink or refils, although some will swear by them

Thanks for the replys all, got a canon pixma mp130 today, just got to sort out how to use it. :D

speaking of ink, i bought an epson R300 photoey jobby thing about 6 months ago, anyway, the cartridges are running low, so i went online for new ones. It was gonna cost me £60 to fill it with genuine Epson ink, no lie, 6 cartridges, £9.98 each. So i got looking for compatibles. Found a really good deal, im sure you will agree. For £46, i bought 3 sets of cartridges, plus 3 extra blacks. 21 in total. Bargain. How good they are, only time will tell.

crafty1289 said:
speaking of ink, i bought an epson R300 photoey jobby thing about 6 months ago, anyway, the cartridges are running low, so i went online for new ones. It was gonna cost me £60 to fill it with genuine Epson ink, no lie, 6 cartridges, £9.98 each. So i got looking for compatibles. Found a really good deal, im sure you will agree. For £46, i bought 3 sets of cartridges, plus 3 extra blacks. 21 in total. Bargain. How good they are, only time will tell.

Maybe you should have looked here, it's where I get mine. Ebuyer

Salem.

My eldest son had a bad experience with ebuyer and never again we will use them again.
After spending over £4,000 with them the last couple of years, they delivered a faulty damaged processor cost £49 without an airbag protection inside the parcel box and even blaming us for damaging it :!: They will not answer e-mail or 3 recorded delivery and they don't care either. We maybe a small fish to them but spending over £4000 with them is taking the biscuit. :evil:
Guess what the customer support helpline said "shouldn't have accepted the delivery" yeah right.

bikerm4

Have you thought about buying a laser jet printer as well, very reliable and I can get 3500 black print on A4 paper at a cost of £17 toner cartridge and I just use another colour printer as and when I need to use it. Save money on the colour cartridges this way.

Sponsored Links
Back