New RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We are having our bathroom revamped with bath taken out and replacing with shower into drain in corner.
The property was built in 1962 and has the old type Fuseboard fitted. We are told we will need to have an RCD unit installed under current regs. Here's my question; if we kept the same electric shower unit (which is on wall above bath) and cleaned it up, would we need to go down the road of having an Rcd unit installed ? If the answer is 'yes' how big would we need it to be? i.e 6 way, 8 way etc? This is a two bed Bungalow. In short, is it only because we want to put up a new electric shower that is creating the need for an Rcd unit?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you feel that little bit safer? Scrimping on safety but spending on a revamp?

10way dual splits are the most cost effective.

If you are not replacing the electric shower then I do not believe you need to introduce an RCD into the circuit.
If you do change the shower then there is nothing to stop you introducing a single RCD unit into the circuit - perhaps in a nearby airing cupboard if wiring permits.
Something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-fully-insulated-rcd-shower-consumer-unit/90026
The problem with a replacement shower is that you will probably also have to increase the size of the cable and fuse/MCB as well.

In short, is it only because we want to put up a new electric shower that is creating the need for an Rcd unit?
As has been said, at worst, you could satisfy regulations by having a separate RCD for the shower, not necessarily a whole new RCD-protected shower unit. (opinions will vary as to whether moving an existing shower does or does not require an RCD in order to satisfy regs). However, most people would say that, regardless of regs, it makes sense to have RCD protection for a shower (the coming together of electricity, water and wet naked human bodies is not necessarily a happy one!). However, if your electrical installation is the original 1962 one (i.e. over 50 years old), it might well be time to consider having it upgraded, at least to the extent of having the fuse box replaced, but perhaps more widely - not the least to bring it generally up to current-day safety standards.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
1962 ? As has been advised time for an upgrade, go on treat yourself :rolleyes:

DS

1962 ? As has been advised time for an upgrade, go on treat yourself :rolleyes:

DS
Think this is a post about Buckingham Palace :giggle::giggle: ? Wonder how many Wylex boards there are in there?!

On topic - like has been posted, you have two options, lay out a bit more cash and either get a rewire (best option) or just the board replaced (second best option) or if you do want to replace the shower, you can just go for an RCD protecting the shower. This is a bit short sighted in my opinion, when you go for option 1 or 2 in a few years, it will have been a waste of money.

You could keep the shower for now, then when you can afford it, get a rewire, with a bigger cable for the shower and do the electric side of it in one go

I suppose it would be possible to reinstall the old shower, providing there has been non of the existing cable relocated or renewed and that the bathroom meets the recommended supplementary bonding that is required. But I will echo what others have said it is best RCD protected, this can be either a single unit just protecting the shower or you could replace the old board and cover all circuits.
Does this revamp, include any other electrics within the bathroom? As they also come under the same requirements as the shower, with regards to RCD protection.

You really, really should be seriously thinking about applying some RCD protection to the shower.

I would say the shower is the most important circuit to be protected by an RCD.

I would urge you to have it.

And for a little bit more money you could possibly get the rest of the circuits upgraded to RCD, maybe via a new consumer unit.

You would be wise to look into this for peace of mind and safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back