New Roof On Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have an aspestos roof on my outbuilding, whilst doing the garden we are going to get a new roof fitted to the outbuilding (a concrete shed), however I fear the cost of a new tiled roof is going to be to expensive for me. So I was thinking about fitting a felt roof myself but need a little guidence.

Step 1: Get the aspestos removed by a competent person
Step 2: Install Joists (only a couple installed at moment)
Step 3: Install some kind of ply wood screwed to the joists
Step 4: Install the felt (Is this nailed or glued?)

Steps 1 - 4 Im happy with however what do I do at the edges, could the ply wood extend past the concrete by about10m and then have a fancy edging strip of wood installed?

The other thing is our outbuilding backs on to our next door neighbours and we share a party wall down the middle how would I join my new timber / felt roof to my neighbours old aspestos roof knowing she wont replace hers.

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for the reply, however what is a mineral felt drip?

would I be correct in using ply wood?

would the felt be nailed to the ply or glued, if glued what type of glue?

shed roofs are nailed with stubby felt nails whereas flat roofs (domestic) are fixed with stubby nails AND with hot bitumen or torched on.

the method of creating a drip can be done with a strip of ply, 2x1" timber, roofing lathe, anything really as it is usually hidden by the felt.

the felt edges of a shed roof tend to be turned down then covered with a 3x1" fascia, pinned into the roofing deck.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for that, one last question how would I join the felt roof to the neighbours aspestos roof?

The outbuildings have a pitched roof, my side is pitched at say 60 degrees and my neighbours is pitched at the same angle, incase you say lead flashing how do you install that?

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back