New roof- tiles kicking around velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,looking for some advice,got New roof fitted today and the tiles are kicking up at the side and looks awful. When I questioned this I was told that this is unavoidable, its an old roof and so on. I'm a woman and felt they were a bit condescending, I don't know if this is right and am a bit scared to ask again. I have a new extension with a velux on same side which is fine,so the main roof one sticks out like sore thumb.Any advice appreciated, thanks Lyn

Attachments

• 20220526_175825.jpg
    20220526_175825.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
Hi all,looking for some advice,got New roof fitted today and the tiles are kicking up at the side and looks awful. When I questioned this I was told that this is unavoidable, its an old roof and so on. I'm a woman and felt they were a bit condescending, I don't know if this is right and am a bit scared to ask again. I have a new extension with a velux on same side which is fine,so the main roof one sticks out like sore thumb.Any advice appreciated, thanks Lyn
Some kick is difficult to disguise especially when you consider that the Velux area where those tiles are landing is a wee bit higher than the surrounding battens. That said, you can mitigate the severity of the kick by getting creative with the angle grinder and it has to start with the first/bottom tile, seated on the flashing, or else all the tiles above will kick.

New roof fitted today and the tiles are kicking up at the side and looks awful. When I questioned this I was told that this is unavoidable, its an old roof and so on. I'm a woman and felt they were a bit condescending, I don't know if this is right and am a bit scared to ask again.

I installed my own, long ago and I agree it is almost impossible to avoid. Under the tiles, goes the flashing, which will increase the depth of material and cause the kick up. The only effective way to mitigate it, is by raising the height of the tiles around the entire area, where there is no flashing. How obvious it is, depends upon the type of tile.

Sponsored Links
I know it's not an uncommon occurrence on forums, perhaps more so on forums like this where someone asks a diy/technical question and perhaps finds an answer elsewhere, however I've noticed quite a few new accounts where someone posts a question, as in here, and then never returns.

Using this thread as an example, maybe the roofer fashioned a fix that satisfied the OP, so they feel no need to hop back on the forum.

There have been one or two threads though where I wondered if some low level trolling was going on.

No what actually happened is the OP posted their thread incorrectly in the projects sub heading back on 27 may and it took the mods about 5 days to respond to it having been reported as being in the wrong sub heading when they subsequently moved it to roofing, the OP has probably moved on now.

In our case the roofers did not realise (because they did not read the instructions because they are in a rush and they cannot speak English anyway) that the foam present on the flashing kit is for profiled tiles with a roll and you are meant to trim that foam until your flat tile sits nicely on it. As the tiles are large they also produce a kick up and an ugly end cut. We have since improved on the kick-up but nothing about the very, very ugly end cut.

Attachments

• 2022-06-04 18_49_46-20220510_112227.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2022-06-04 18_49_46-20220510_112227.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 89

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back