New Router

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old RYOBI ERT1150 died last night. I think this time it might be terminal.

Problem is that it is hard to replace. It had a decent set of features:

Small/medium size and light weight at only 3Kg.

1/2" collet.

Included a simple fence but more critically had a base that you could slide onto rails for jigs.

Reasonable power.

Can anyone think of anything similar?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
all depends on what you want
the ryobi 1150w is not a true 1/2" router as you need 1600w plus
assuming most off your cutters are 1/4" i would look at a smaller lighter router and at a later date get a 1/2" under a table
if you router has been used in a table then theres a good chance the off/on switch is full off fine sawdust

Ta for replies. Should have clarified a couple of things:

1. Because my old ryobi could take 1/2" cutters they are all I used. So, moving to a 1/4" router would mean having to buy a lot of new cutters.

2. The Dewalts look good but I don't see any lighter weight 1/2" options.

3. I have a massive erbauer router in my table but it is too heavy to use for fine work. This was where the ryobi was so useful.

4. Ta for tip on switch. However I've already stripped it down and most likely problem is the motor control PCB (switch, coils, brushes etc all seem to be intact).

So, I guess what I'm really asking for is any recomendations on smaller 1/2" capable routers.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
i have the ryobi 1150 hence my comments
no one else does a "light weight "1/2 inch as far as i know as its only advantage is to use the 1/2" version off a cutter if you cant generally get it in 1/4 inch then its too big for the 1150[overload cuts too great an amount off material too much mass/radius]

for hand user a smaller router is far easier to use
i have various routers [approaching 10]:eek:
and the most useful are the 18v p600ryobi [imports] as they are very lightweight
next used is the dewalt duel base paid around £225 with both bases
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=DeWalt+D26200+1/4in+Compact+Fixed+Base+Router+&t=ffsb&ia=products
apparently draper do version thats useable but i know nothing about
the 1150 gets little or no use as its a heavy compromise neither one or tother :rolleyes:

you wont be disappointed its crisp clean easy to use quite light easy to use one handed easy to adjust(y)

Should anyone else ask, deWalt DW622 - 1400 watts, 1/2 in collet, superb dust extraction, very similar size up a Trend T5elk or maybe just a tad bigger. Not a DW625 but capacity and power to do worktops

Should anyone else ask, deWalt DW622 - 1400 watts, 1/2 in collet, superb dust extraction, very similar size up a Trend T5elk or maybe just a tad bigger.
Yep agree I bought one as a smaller router for smaller jobs instead of my huge Makita. gets used for pretty much everything nowadays and the Makita lives in the table.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back