New service head

Get the service head and the meter moved to an external cabinet, no more problems with estimated bills and easy access for the supplier at any time. Why bother having it taking up space inside?

Sponsored Links
I discussed this with my electrician. He told me that the consumer unit can't be more than 3 metres away from the service head. If that's the case than I've got nowhere to put the consumer unit within that distance without it being an eyesore. I decided to move the service head in the first place becuase I don't want it to be visible. Any idea how I could have the service head and meter outside and have the consumer unit installed (8 metres away) out of sight?

Get the service head and the meter moved to an external cabinet, no more problems with estimated bills and easy access for the supplier at any time. Why bother having it taking up space inside?

Yukster
I discussed this with my electrician. He told me that the consumer unit can't be more than 3 metres away from the service head. If that's the case than I've got nowhere to put the consumer unit within that distance without it being an eyesore. I decided to move the service head in the first place becuase I don't want it to be visible. Any idea how I could have the service head and meter outside and have the consumer unit installed (8 metres away) out of sight?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-service-head.449260/page-2#ixzz3vDzkVFjU

Sponsored Links
Any idea how I could have the service head and meter outside and have the consumer unit installed (8 metres away) out of sight?

Doesn't your sparkie know?

He's right about the 3m rule, but there is a workaround.

Clue: install a sub-main.

If they cant use a ladder then the can find another solution, no?
Scaffolding-type tower?

I'm pretty sure that ladders are not allowed to be used as working platforms, only as a means of access.

I've just been on a working at heights course. The HSE guide says that it is accessible to work from ladders provided you work from them for only a short duration (no more than 30 minutes) and that you (and your employer) take all the necessary precautions (no overloading / over-reaching; provide protection from falling objects; consider your emergency evacuation and rescue plan etc., etc.) to comply with the law.

I discussed this with my electrician. He told me that the consumer unit can't be more than 3 metres away from the service head.
You need a new electrician - yours is broken.

Any idea how I could have the service head and meter outside and have the consumer unit installed (8 metres away) out of sight?
Get an electrician who knows that if you protect the tails¹ with your own fuse you can have them any length you like.

¹ which might need to be in steel conduit, or replaced by armoured cable, depending on where they run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back