New service head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UK Power Network are due to move the electrics service head from near my front door into my under-stars cupboard which is more than 2.1m and has a 1m step-back. The surveyor proposed to install it 1000mm from floor level and bang int he middle of the under stairs space. He was reluctant to agree to install it any higher even though he said it could be installed 1000mm-1700mm from the floor. Is it really the case that a new service head cant be installed higher than 1700mm? Is so can someone let me know why? Tkanks

Sponsored Links
Think about the poor guy that has to come along, in FULL PPE, we're talking face shield, gauntlets etc and try and pull that fuse in x number of years down the line. They're not gonna wanna do it off steps, and higher than 1.7m means you'd have to use steps, which is probably (hopefully) not allowed by their H&S documents.

Sponsored Links
Think about the poor guy that has to come along, in FULL PPE, we're talking face shield, gauntlets etc and try and pull that fuse in x number of years down the line. They're not gonna wanna do it off steps, and higher than 1.7m means you'd have to use steps, which is probably (hopefully) not allowed by their H&S documents.
Fair point. But hard is not impossible. I aways believed that (within reason) if there's a will there's a way. I was assuming that service providers do what they can to cater for customers' needs, i.e., to install the service head out of the way so i can utilise the space in the under stairs cupboards more effectively. If they cant use a ladder then the can find another solution, no? Maybe if there is no will there also no way?

It probably won't be long before many DNO's will refuse to relocate an existing inside supply unless the new location is outside (or maybe some have already adopted such a policy - I've not been following such things in detail now outside Britain),

Fair point. But hard is not impossible. I aways believed that (within reason) if there's a will there's a way. I was assuming that service providers do what they can to cater for customers' needs, i.e., to install the service head out of the way so i can utilise the space in the under stairs cupboards more effectively. If they cant use a ladder then the can find another solution, no? Maybe if there is no will there also no way?
It's not about where there's a will there's a way. It is, and can be, a matter of life and death. If there is an explosion as they pull the fuse (rare, but it happens) and they're wearing PPE on the ground, no harm, no foul. If they're standing on steps, a hop up etc as this happens, they potentially fall backwards and break their neck.

If their regs say between 1000mm and 1700mm then it will be going between 1000mm and 1700mm.

i.e., to install the service head out of the way so i can utilise the space in the under stairs cupboards more effectively. If they cant use a ladder then the can find another solution, no?
The solution is to put it outside in a cabinet.

I didn't think they were permitted to fit new cutouts under the stairs? Or don't they know there is going to be a staircase fitted.

I was assuming that service providers do what they can to cater for customers' needs,
Safety both at time of installation and in the future should take preferance over customer's "needs" when deciding where is best for the service head.
to install the service head out of the way so i can utilise the space in the under stairs cupboards more effectively.
Best out "of the way location" is an external meter box where the service head will not become covered in the various items that cupboard under stairs accumulate. Storing anything flammable near to a srrvice head is not reccomended.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back