New shed leaking through the walls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need advice got a new shed summer house it's leaking through the walls advice please ...its tongue n groove

Sponsored Links
Did you build it from scratch? Was it a prefab job that you built or did you have it built for you or what? Got some photos? Questions questions ....

Water should not leak through a tongue and groove log cabin but is it a log cabin or a shed? What make is it?

Photos etc will help.

Sponsored Links
Wood is not waterproof.

My summer house is wooden tongue and groove.. It has been up for ten years. It does not leak either through the roof or through the walls. But then your unhelpful contribution wasn't written with the intention of helping anybody was it?

My summer house is wooden tongue and groove.. It has been up for ten years. It does not leak either through the roof or through the walls. But then your unhelpful contribution wasn't written with the intention of helping anybody was it?

Thank you for your authoritative response on the water resistance of a timber shed. Based on your experience of owning one shed out of the 30 million in UK gardens, and for 10 years and not 10,000 years that man has used timber for shelter, I am sure you are correct.

Would you happen to know why my timber shed has leaked? o_O

Need advice got a new shed summer house it's leaking through the walls advice please ...its tongue n groove

please post some photos, inside and out, to show method of construction and points of entry.

Is it leaking at the corners and other joints, or is it leaking through the T&Gs? Was it built with the tongues facing upward?

The joints will tend to close up in damp weather like now, and open up when the wood dries and shrinks. Although timber cladding will keep most of the weather out, to be truly dry you need roofing felt or something on the inside, to prevent spray or drips wetting the contents of the shed, for example in driving rain.

And what is it coated with, or is it a bare magic shed like Peter's abode?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back