New Shower Boiler Dilemma!! :shock:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im abit confused at the moment regarding my new shower. I am going to have a new extension bathroom built upstairs in my 3 bedroom house. i have poor pressure in my current shower which is just a bog standard mixer. I am thinking about moving away from my current conventional boiler set up over to a combi system. i want to install a shower with body jets and a large 10" overhead showerhead. A hansgrohe system also crossed my mind requiring a min 3bar pressure.
My question is would it be best to cross over to a combi system for (an energy saving aspect too) and would i get the pressure i require? If not how would i get it? many thanks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Provided your incoming pressure is sufficient and your pipes are large enough, a good combi will do the job nicely. Also a tad more economical than a cylinder system
For a good conversion, you will be looking somewhere about 3k if not more, depending on what else needs doing. Lot of dosh for shower though.

thanks for the reply! i must state my boiler needs replacing anyway and im not just doing it for the shower. my missus is convinced a combi is what she wants but im not stuffed. i just want the 3 bar pressure for a pukka shower..a man has to have one luxury!!

Sponsored Links
Dont skimp on the boiler
If you want a decent flow you will be better off getting a boiler with a higher domestic hot water flow rate
You also need to check your mains pressure is 3 bar!

10" is just a bit greedy isnt it :)

put a bucket under the kitchen cold tap, see how long it takes to fill, work out litres delivered per minute.

this will give you a clue of what a shower through a combi can deliver (it will be rather less due to losses)

your drencher may be too big.

My wife wanted 12" head but hey u know women ;) .. my other option is to stay with a new conventional system boiler and then put in a larger hot water tank and a 3bar pump(which i already have new in a box). My wife wants the most fuel efficient system. Its only me the missus and two toddlers in the household so our water need is not immense.

a combi can give a reasonable shower but will not do what you want 10"head with body jets and good pressure will require a bit more. look at unvented or a thermal store.upgrade your tank and cyl to cope, would be the cheapest option,maybe even the best option if you do not mind the noise of the pump

Thanks for all replies chaps.. I looked down the megaflo/thermal store option, not totally keen on that idea. I think im going to go for the best efficient Conventional boiler system, larger hot water tank and the stick the pump on it i have... please tell me if im stupid?

You can have a larger indirect cylinder and a system boiler ( sealed system) and add a normal shower twin pump, it will be enough for your shower. I fitted this system for my brother 3 bed house with walk in shower I built, lovely soaking shower. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back