New shower going cold

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
We recently renovated our bathroom and installed one of these: https://www.x2o.be/nl/blaufoss-smar...-kraan-brushed-gunmetal-kra-79636-95415-92943 (You can find the technical documentation in the Downloads section at the bottom of the page.)

Our combi boiler is a Viessman Vitopend 100.

IMG20230223114237.jpg

The first three months, while we were waiting for the shower handle to arrive, we used only the rain showerhead. During this period, the shower worked fine. The hot water pressure was a bit on the low side, but we had no problems with the water temperature. (I did feel the boiler was kicking in perhaps way too often compared to the same model in our previous apartment. Here, I would hear the ignition start every 15 to 20 seconds, on average, while the old one would do it every 45-60 seconds or so.)

Then, the hand shower arrived. The moment we installed it, we noticed the (hot water) pressure was rather low. (It is possible it wasn't any better before, but we could never really tell with the rain showerhead.) More importantly, there was no hot water at all on either of the two showerheads.

IMG20230223124009.jpg

(Meanwhile, both the pressure and the temperature on the bathroom sink were great.)

IMG20230223124054.jpg

I then played with the mixer and, after some "adjustments" (I ended up with the same settings I started with), the boiler finally started kicking in again.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 122003.png

It worked with no issues (apart from the low pressure) for about 10 days, then one morning went cold in the middle of my morning shower. I turned it off, waited a bit, turned it back on, and it was fine again. Then, another 10 days later, the same thing happened. Only this time, it was two days in a row. Then a week later again, for several days.

Now, it happens every morning and it takes several attempts to get the boiler to start heating the water again.

It is also worth noting that our boiler has been losing pressure lately, sometimes up to 0.5 bar a day (and, at times, nothing for a week). Our plumber claims this is caused by a faulty PRV and is not related to the shower problem. (We will have the PRV replaced this week.) Instead, he believes the thermostatic mixer is the culprit behind the shower issues.

I am not saying this is not the case, but before I call my contractor to break the wall again to replace the mixer, I would like to point out once more that the mixer is completely new and the shower had worked fine (albeit, with low pressure) for 3 months before installing the hand showerhead. (Also, I did read somewhere that a faulty PRV can affect the shower pressure and temperature.)

Any thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pressure loss on a Combi has no bearing on the hot water delivery pressure, so your plumber is correct. Seems to me like crossed pipes, or let by of a valve.

Pressure loss on a Combi has no bearing on the hot water delivery pressure, so your plumber is correct. Seems to me like crossed pipes, or let by of a valve.
Thanks.

I happen to have a spare mixer. According to page 5 of the installation manual, I might be able to replace the "cartridge" (if that's the right term) without demolishing the wall: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.c...1ac0ace8d15c1e5f0e018d308ebb797_MA_011111.pdf

Would that make sense? If not, what are my options?

Sponsored Links
I have just tried turning off the hot water on the boiler side, then turning on the hot water, first on the sink side, then on the shower side. Nothing came out of the sink tap, but there was cold water coming out of the showerhead.

Does this confirm I have a crossover and the culprit is the cartridge / mixing valve? Is that the part that is shown here?

Screenshot_2023-02-25-13-18-41-02_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

If yes, my guess is replacing it should be straightforward, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back