New shower in bath problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as the title says wife would like a shower installed above the bath,however my walls are only tiled half way up all round.The said tiles are now obsolete,the walls are currently just painted with emulsion paint,what would be the best to make the corner above bath,and current tiles waterproof? Thanks

Sponsored Links
i'm afraid there no real solution apart from removing the tiles, tanking and retiling. i suspect fitting the shower will cause damage to the tiles anyway.

Hi as the title says wife would like a shower installed above the bath,however my walls are only tiled half way up all round.The said tiles are now obsolete,the walls are currently just painted with emulsion paint,what would be the best to make the corner above bath,and current tiles waterproof? Thanks

Most tiles, tile cement & grout are already waterproof in as much that they won’t disintegrate when they get wet. Tile adhesive, grout & even some tiles, however, are not impervious to water & problems arise when water gets though onto the tile base that may not be waterproof; plasterboard for example. Do you know what the walls are made of brick or plasterboard? I assume you have ceramic tiles as opposed to natural stone or porcelain, do you have any idea? It’s important you establish what you have as this will dictate what prep work is necessary & how long it will last. What type of shower fitting do you intend?

If you’ve no wish to strip out & re-tile which is by far the best solution, then you could seal the current tiles if unsure but they will need to be thoroughly cleaned first & it’s less than ideal. The bit above the current tiles you can either fit a border & go for some new tiles that will integrate with what you currently have or fit bathroom/shower panels;
http://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.u...a4a334343a5e&gclid=CNXT5efZo6oCFUFC4QodrDpJXQ
personally I don’t rate them much but they would work for you I suppose.

Should have explained better,shower will just come off existing mixer tap,which has a shower hose attached.Dont want to remove any tiles as this will be costly ,would just want to waterproof area above tiles where shower hose will sit,if this is possible.Thanks for your replys.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back