New shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning the installation of a shower room and am after some advice on the best wall structure – the main factor is overall quality and to avoid future problems related to moisture. space is a bit limited but I can work around it if it improves the structure significantly.

The plan is to have tiled walls, on three sides, then a glass door at the front.

The two existing walls are plastered brickwork and I need to create the third wall. I plan to make this from timber and clad with plasterboard, skim it, apply a tanking solution (unsure what product), then tile. Is this advisable? Or am I better to use something different to plasterboard?

How about the existing plastered walls? Should I tile apply the tanking solution straight onto the painted plaster work then tile? Or should I over clad then tank, then tile?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Plastered walls should not have a problem of 'breaking down' like plaster-boarded walls.

Are the plastered walls in good condition?

Sponsored Links
Well, I was trying to save complexity by skipping the part that one of the existing walls isn't really a wall yet because I need to brick-up a doorway and window. They'll need to be bonded then skimmed and tanked, I guess.

The one existing wall is in decent condition although it has a radiator on it and a light switch so is going to take a fair bit of damage/repairs as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back