New sink doesn't fit trap?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi All,
We have a new sink and trying to connect the drain to the bottle trap, however the pipes will only seem to butt up?!
Not sure what the solution is to this one? Is there a seal for this? Should be 40mm
IMG_2123.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is it an Ikea one? They're usually a non standard size so you have to use their waste kit

Many thanks for the reply, it's a Valle Albany sink with their waste fittings

Sponsored Links
Hi, tried pushing the trap up, the bottle trap just won't fit inside the sink outlet. The inside diameter of the sink outlet is petty much spot on 40mm.

If the nut will tighten onto the thread then just file/sand out the inside of the waste until the lip of the trap fits in and the seal is tight to the leading edge. Might need a bit of a good push. Had to do that on many of these cheaper sinks/wastes to make a standard trap fit in properly.

Thanks for the replies, having taken the parts out, had a much better look I independently came to a similar solution to Madrab, I chamfered the inside of the waste so that when I tightened the joint the bottle trap got pushed into position and seal made!

Rules for Ikea items:
1. Don't buy in the first place
2. If someone has foolishly ignored 1 then throw away all supplied waste fittings and replace with proper ones.

Recently had a similar situation with a basin trap from Bathstore... Backnut on the trap wouldn’t slip over my 32mm waste that I’d 1st fixed, so I went out and bought a McAlpine one... later on, as I was tidying up, I found a stray backnut in the box of stuff I’d used to store everything in... it was meant to replace the one in the trap and would also go over the 32mm! Didn’t spot that when I was opening all the packaging and cracking on. Will remember for next time :censored:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back