New socket in loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a computer which I use as a server, and at the moment it is in a cupboard just taking up space.

I have been thinking about putting it up into my loft for a while, but recently found there is no plugsockets in my loft.

I thought I could run an extension cable from a socket in my bedroom up though the celing into the loft, is this safe to do?

If it is ok then what cable would you recommend using and is there anything that I should make sure I do.

Regards

Raining

Sponsored Links
it's not really good practise as extension leads are for temporary use and can be a trip hazzard, your best bet would be to have a socket hard wired in using 2.5mm2.

hi m8

this is safe to do but not ideal.
you need 2.5mmmm 3 core flex.

hth

matt

i understand your problem, but lofts get damp, not good for a pc.

but if you still insist then run a spur from a socket up to the loft using 2.5mm t & e cable

Sponsored Links
mattux said:
hi m8

hth

matt
:?: :confused:
breezer said:
i understand your problem, but lofts get damp, not good for a pc.

but if you still insist then run a spur from a socket up to the loft using 2.5mm t & e cable
:D

Thanks for the replys,

Yes I know that a loft might not be an ideal place for a computer which is why I am not sure weather or not to acctually put it up there.

Im quite sure that my loft doesnt get damp though really :D Well hopefully.

So I shouldnt use an extension cable, I should do a spur from a socket.

Thanks Raining

The environment for a pc is quite important, it needs to be kept relatively cool as well as computers don't like heat either.

yai46 said:
it's not really good practise as extension leads are for temporary use

hmm.... so what should i do with all those extension leads/4 way adapter powerin my comp?!

as for puttin comp in loft: just remember it gets pretty hot up there on sunny days so you might end up cookin you comp

andrew2022 said:
yai46 said:

hmm.... so what should i do with all those extension leads/4 way adapter powerin my comp?!

as for puttin comp in loft: just remember it gets pretty hot up there on sunny days so you might end up cookin you comp

4 way extension leads are ok if its local to the socket. just not for what he is asking running a lead to the loft.

yai46 said:
andrew2022 said:
yai46 said:

4 way extension leads are ok if its local to the socket. just not for what he is asking running a lead to the loft.

there all plugged into each other. there is a total of about 20 sockets all fed from 1 socket

ban-all-sheds said:
Spark123 said:
mattux said:
hi m8

hth

matt
:?: :confused:

Don't fret - look how he spells "mate"..

sorry, what exactly do you mean by this.
does my short hand not measure up for you or these forums or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

matt

andrew2022 said:
there all plugged into each other. there is a total of about 20 sockets all fed from 1 socket
Sounds like you need an electrician :LOL:

Spark123 said:
andrew2022 said:
Sounds like you need an electrician :LOL:

its also fed from a double socket. 1 side is free.

was at a job the other day and noticed his outside extension. basically, flex runs around side of house to back door where it is hung over the line to 'keep it dry'. plugged into house when needed. at front, it goes onto this old rusty reel (probably rusted up so he cant put it away)! from there, flex comes about 1M from reel into a double socket. he says he hasnt had any problems with it yet...

andrew2022 said:

then you get the people who don't know much about electricity trying to tell you that you are overloading it :LOL: , like I did when I had a load of wall warts in multiway ext leads for outdoor xmas lights, total demand was *well* below 1kw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back