New sockets for TV etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK we're currently redecorating the front room. While we do it, should we fit another double socket rather than use the extension lead we use currently for the av equipment? I'm thinking it would be better at supplying stable power to my various electronic gadgets I've got plugged in.

I have connected TV; Amp (a powerful bugger); CD player; DVD player; Xbox (not shown in pic currently); Humax (freeview player); nintendo wii; powered Sub; other bits like phone etc. Currently they all run off a single surge-protection extension lead as there is only one double-socket in the wall.

I could do it myself if it is allowed or is this also notifiable? (Is everything notifiable these days? :rolleyes: )

tv2.jpg

plugs1.JPG

What it looked like before extra gear was added:

tv1.jpg

Sponsored Links
As its in the lounge no its not notifiable unless you are adding an extra circuit, I would look at replacing the existing socket with an unswitched spur and running say 3 or 4 doubles from that to take all the plugs. Various manufacturers also make plates with up to 9 sockets on + areial etc fot just this application.

BTW, my post above pre supposes your sockets have 30mA RCD protection, if they do not substitute the FCU for an RCD protected version.

I converted my double socket to two double sockets to do as you have done. Then realised how much stuff needs turning off and not leaving on standby. So now just two sockets used.
One for all stuff normally left on. i.e timed record.
Two all stuff only required when watching.
The second is all supplied through a remote controlled switch so one push all switched off.
Consider if getting rid of extension lead is really any advantage.
Aldi doing remotes now.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother. The extension lead you have now is not overloaded, as the majority of the items plugged in do not draw a lot of current. If you're the sort of person that will happily spend £100/metre on speaker cable then you may percieve some difference in audio quality by ditching the extension, but I think your time would be better spent in neatening up your wiring behind the TV!

Some late pointers:

Put your centre speaker back in the erm... centre, take the speaker grilles off again, the best thing you can do is get some spikes on those Tannoy floorstanders!!

Also, if your Sony amp allows - bi-wire the front Tannoys too.

Just a thought (or four).

I wouldn't bother. The extension lead you have now is not overloaded, as the majority of the items plugged in do not draw a lot of current. If you're the sort of person that will happily spend £100/metre on speaker cable then you may percieve some difference in audio quality by ditching the extension, but I think your time would be better spent in neatening up your wiring behind the TV!

indeed... they put a 13amp fuse in these extension leads for a reason.

13amps = 2990 watts

i agree with electronicsuk, there is adequate overload protection in that socket strip. It just needs those cables neatening up (or you could get a decent TV stand that allows cables to be tucked away)

Ah, the MK monstrosity which is almost impossible to find and takes a special box to boot.

Ah, the MK monstrosity which is almost impossible to find and takes a special box to boot.

And should you ever ask the wholsaler for a price on one make sure you are sitting down with a strong mug of coffee before they tell you the price :eek: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back