New soil pipe

Sponsored Links
1:40 falls were deemed necessary minimum fall for old salt glazed pipes that were, to be honest, rather crude.

If you use 110mm plastic drain pipe you could halve the falls and still achieve decent flow.

The only trade off being precision. You need to be super diligent when laying the pipes. Avoid dips at all cost.

The photo's are no help? they do not show where the pipe run is or any manholes or IC's? Also some description of where and what you are trying to connect intol?

Sponsored Links
Ok then pipe runs down about 10cm below concrete then bends left my house is semi and runs towards my neibourgh main manhole is probably on the street as I and my neibourgh don't havit and is shared as house built 1940 I will laying new soil pipe from outbuilding just came from b&q can this connection will be suitebal View media item 53757

Depends on what the existing drain is made from firstly, suitable connectors are available to join different types of pipes. Secondly, all pipework needs to be accessible for rodding in case of blockage, so you'll probably need to fit a manhole somewhere, possibly where you join new drain to existing. Building control will need to inspect and approve the drains before you backfill!

Drawing of what you propose to do, and existing drain run(s) in relation to the house and outbuilding, is needed to best advise. Suspect a building of that era will have salt glazed drains, couplings like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/clay-to-pvcu-drain-adaptor-black/invt/430042/ will be needed to join plastic to the salt glazed.

Thanks for advice I marked on picture where the pipe will coming and joining the existing drain if I instal manhole close to existing drain By the time my soil pipe will be lover about 15cm then original clay pipe. And regards building reg I spoke with councill told them tham will be building outbuilding les than 30sqm les than 2.5m in hight no sleeping accommodation new toilet , shower sauna new drains they told me go ahead no planing or building reg req? View media item 53764 View media item 53763

As hugh says you really need a manhole at the junction of your old and new pipe.

You will need to lift a bit more decking and expose the existing pipe. You'll need a hole about 3ft square to get down to it and to allow installtion of a new Chamber.

Also how do you know the depth of the existing pipe if you have not exposed it? It would be unusual for it to be tight against the house but may be quite close to it, like 300mm away.

As you are aware from your question about falls, if the base of the existing pipe is too high you may be onto a non-starter anyway.

Thanks for answering. I pulled out plastic pipe and measured drop I have cast iron exposed about 8 cm out of concrete. Concrete slab itself is about 10 cm below ground What if new pipe fall is really lower than existing what is my options ? Thanks

As said, you need to expose the existing drain, until you have ascertained the depth of that, and calculated what (if any) fall you can achieve, you're wasting your time doing anything else.

If a suitable fall cannot be achieved, the only option is some method of pumping the waste. I doubt a Saniflo would cope very well, and there's still the issue of connecting the discharge pipe from a Saniflo to the drain. Pumping station for one WC and shower seems overkill, and cost would likely prohibit the idea anyway.

Regardless of what the building is, or is to be used for, Building Regs should still apply with regard to the drainage works even if nothing else!

Update after diging more as suggested found clay pipe about 30cm below ground and was covered with concrete exposed and attached news plastic conection after calculation I can only lay new plastic pipe about 20 cm below to get decent fall or the is any other way ? Thanks

Whilst you have done what appears to be an excellent job of grafting in a plastic junction on that foul pipe, what you should have done is graft in a shallow access chamber bottom.

However, there does not appear to be much of a depth there.

It is possible to achieve a decent flow with as little as 1:80, but you still need ground cover over the pipe.

Does the garden slope away from the house or gain in height?

Thanks I will see tomorrow if my chamber wil fit in that space as this clay pipe is coverd in concrete witch is very dificult to break,without braking clay pipe .yes My end of garden gains in height. Probably fall will be sufficient .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back