New solid oak kitchen surface - how to stop rot??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive just installed a new very expensive kitchen surface. Water around the tap is constantly present - is there a strong wax or sealant we could use that will not allow the wood to rot Its been treated with Danish oil (5 coats) but already its starting to swell slightly - I want to catch it while we can before it gets out of hand

any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Bonda Voss Wood Hardener - if possible remove the tap, dry the area around the hole, sand it back then apply the wood hardener. Leave overnight, resand and then apply the normal oil you've used elsewhere (ideally 3/4 coats) and allow to dry. Once dry the tap can be replaced.

5 Coats of Danish oil isn't sufficient I'm afraid, and you're going to need to keep adding to it. Osmo Top oil would have been better, but you need to sort out why the water is pooling, as I'm not sure even the OSMO would handle constant surface water.

Post a picture.

As mentioned needs a top oil , but all manufacturers recommend wiping spills immediately to avoid damage.

Sponsored Links
If you put five coats of danish oil on it certainly should be beading, which is good. Then just wipe up after youve finished washing up. Ive had wood worktops for last 10 years and danish as well as other oils will all do the job, then once a year or whenever it starts drying out, re oil it. Never had any rot, just always wipe up the water. And anyway, damage can just be sanded away. Moved into one house where the worktop had been been badly damaged and did look like it had water damage around the taps. To make matters worse we continued to not take care of it as we thought we would be buying a new kitchen. In the end I sanded it all back and it was good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back