new sony t.v girl needs help very quickly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have bought a new 32" bravia and had sky hd upgrade since the day i've(only had it 3 weeks) had it the screen keeps going blank for about 10-30 secs on light stays green on both sky and t.v.this is an intermittant problem. sky chap has been out and does not think it is sky and the shop won't give me a full refund until one of the sony repairers comes out and finds a fault (this has been arranged twice and they never turned up!2 days wasted)if he finds a fault we get a new telly if not i have to pay them £50 for the privilage to end up with a faulty telly that is also damaged due to one of their stickers.anybody got any ideas of how i can see if the telly is at fault or sky???know it is long winded :(

Sponsored Links
If it's damaged due to one of their stickers, should you not be entitled to a replacement anyway? Sorry I can't help with your main problem.

thanks for replying it seems thanks to a link on here that it is a known problem with just sony t.v's somthing to due with to sky/freeveiw updates not being compatable with the sony software(methinks)we have already tried cosumer.org and trading standards hoping to get a full refund the more info i get the better.do not go to the shrewsbury sony centre very unhelpful and slightly deceitful(is that slander or just my opinion?)

Sponsored Links
Hang on a second before charging headlong in to refund land... Are you saying that Freeview has been updated and that it has caused a compatibility issue with the Bravia? If so, then is the fault a Sony fault, or is it really a problem caused by Freeview that Sony now have to make a patch to fix?

Or to put it another way, if you filled up at a garage and found out the fuel was faulty, would you really go back to the car maker and demand a refund for the cost of the vehicle?

Nearly all hi-tech consumer devices are software driven. It's not uncommon for one manufacturer or organisation to make changes in their software that cause problems in other products. If that is the case, and I realise you're peed off and want the problem fixed, but is demanding a refund the right answer if the problem isn't of the TV manufacturer's making?

One of my customers had a problems with their £800 Denon Blu-ray player freezing. There were also issues with his Sky HD box not working right on certain channels. You wouldn't think the two things were related. It turned out that the Blu-ray issue was a symptom of the problem with the Sky HD box. Fixing the Sky box cured the Blu-Ray. It was because both items are connected via HDMI to the display that one could affect the other. It might be worth you trying a firmware update on the Sky HD box. It can't hurt. Nothing will be deleted. And it might just fix things. Let us know how you get on with it.

Follow the instructions in this LINK for how to do a Sky HD box firmware update.

As for the store, you haven't given any detail so this is all a bit of conjecture on my part; but if they're stalling about this issue it might be that they've had no official notification from Sony about the problem or a fix. They might be as much in the dark as you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back