New speeding trap idea.

oilman said:
TexMex, do you mean to say you follow a crawler for miles until you see a speed camera so you can be photographed overtaking? Seems bizarre.

To be more specific.
There is a road that goes from Gloucester to Stroud. Coming out of Gloucester there are Camera signs (but no cameras). I have no problem at this point (schools, padestrians galore).

It then continues past some farms and the speed limit increases to 40mph. (still no chance to overtake because the road is full of bends). Finally it reaches a nice straight patch. Wide grass Swards each side, and nothing but farmland beyond them. Ideal for overtaking.

At the end of this wide level straight section is a long drawn out hill (about 1:4 going up) and no more overtaking opportunities 'till you reach Stroud. You've guessed it. The speed camera is placed, bang in the middle of the straight bit, just before the National Speed Limit sign.

I used to get frustrated by this camera, until one day, I thought to myself, Darn it, I'm entitled to break the speed limit during an overtaking manouver. The handy thing is. If the camera wasn't there, the person you want to overtake would probably be accelerating, making the manouver more difficult.

I have been flashed many times by this camera, and never yet recieved a ticket. If I ever do, I feel I have a strong defence, "Of course I exceded the speed limit, I was overtaking". The case would also highlight the dubious motives behind this camera.

So, No, I don't sit for miles behind someone, just so I can be snapped. But I won't remain behind them just because a camera is there.

Sponsored Links
I'm a motocyclist and have a great many friends who have been on numerous course most of which are approved by and sometimes run by the police. Most of the instructors are ex police. Nearly all of them tell me that they were taken above the speed limit, that is to 'make progress' on open roads (national limit) especially for manouvres like overtaking. Not excessivley though, 80-85 seemed to be the acceptable norm. Red circle limits should never be exceeded though.

My Advanced D I reckons you can overtake on double white lines as long as the vehicle(s) you intend to o/take are doing less than 15mph, but I know two people who have been ticketed for doing so.

Who is right?

securespark said:
Who is right?

it looks like your A D I is being cautious, its 10mph not 15

have a look here
but it doesnt mention double solid lines (not that i saw)

Sponsored Links
Darn it, I'm entitled to break the speed limit during an overtaking manouver.

Hmm, there seems to be some idea that the highway code says you can exceed speed limits while overtaking.

The speed limit is the absolute maximum .

This is the only view I could find in the highway code, under rule 104. Can you tell me where the reference is that says I can exceed the speed limit.

ASFAIK a limit is a limit. There may be dispensation for emergency vehicles, but for the rest of us there isn't.

securespark said:
My Advanced D I reckons you can overtake on double white lines as long as the vehicle(s) you intend to o/take are doing less than 15mph, but I know two people who have been ticketed for doing so.

Who is right?

Highway code: £1.49 ... Not a lot.
p.28 Para 108.

Blah, blah .. Double white lines where nearest line to you is solid .. must not cross or straddle unless it is safe AND you need to enter adjoining premises OR a side road.
You may cross line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle , horse or road maintenance vehicle if they are travelling at 10 mph or less.

Pretty explicit.

Double white lines .. dotted plus solid OR double solid, the solid side is restricted always !!

Your advanced Dectective Inspector .. entrapment I believe !! (never driving Instructor ?)

You should not exceed speed limit to overtake .. End of.

P

Bit of a shock .. at Insanesberries .. picked up paperback driving test (written) problems.
Ok, coming clean ... tried 5 got 3 right ... I need to buy that book and read it up !!!
Have the H/Code ... need to read !!

How many knew the small print of the double white line business ?
Probably not many of us 'oldies' who know it all ...A little knowledge is dangerous ?P As the Sparkies like to expound, mmm ! Good for Goose is good for Gander !!!! ;)

Everyone should re-read the highway code every couple of years, it changes. Small changes, but enough to annoy those who know what the rules are!

Did a national speed limit used to mean 60 on a dual carriageway? The number of times people have held me up going 60 in the outside lane of an empty dual carriageway... And they are always middle-aged or older. I am wondering if this was changed in the last couple of decades and they haven't noticed?

Also, new types of crossings come out. I think the Penguin (or was it Puffin?) crossing was the new one when I was learning. That is one where the cycle lane pulls onto the pavement, and then crosses the road with it's own traffic lights.

Motorcyclists being encouraged to "make progress" has always seemed like a backwards concept to me. "Let's take these people who are prone and vulnerable on a relatively unstable machine, and encourage them to go faster despite the fact that many people aren't aware of their presence, others are and deliberately block them, and some people pour diesel on their favourite corners!". :rolleyes:

AdamW said:
Did a national speed limit used to mean 60 on a dual carriageway?
Yes, I think it was to do with petrol shortage ?????

I know the national speed limit is 70 mph but where did I get that from :?: :!:

Did a national speed limit used to mean 60 on a dual carriageway? The number of times people have held me up going 60 in the outside lane of an empty dual carriageway... And they are always middle-aged or older. I am wondering if this was changed in the last couple of decades and they haven't noticed

Regardless of speed limit keep left..Think we had the hates etc the other day.
I drive fast, but there is always someone who wants to go faster, just move over let em go.... How many times have we had someone mouth at us its a xx limit...

Maybe I am lucky only been done once for speeding 85 on a dual carriage way (when limit was 60) and the road was empty perfect conditions, but radar was the new toy then. I drive to the conditions & whilst I am aware of speed limits, I would not say I adhear to them. As I said maybe Im lucky...We know that speed kills but I think they are stationary when people die..(flipant I know).

I think the business of 'middle lane' driving on three lane motorway is a bit iffy.

What is the most dangerous procedure normally undertaken on motorway ? Has to be changing lanes (nah, driving the wrong way aint normal !)
So given the usual 'morse code' of hgv, truck, slow cars in the inside lane, then what is wrong with driving in the middle lane at >70 mph ?
Remember one thing .. there is no 'fast lane' the outer lane is merely termed as an 'overtaking lane' if at all .... I wonder why ?

.... You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles it may be safer to remain in the centre or outer lanes until the manoeuvre is completed rather than continually changing lanes.....

You MUST NOT exceed 70 mph, or the maximum speed limit permitted for your vehicle

The first sentence of the first para quote 'road ahead clear' very loose here ... I defy anyone to start assigning a distance here, there is no defined distance !! The second para just about puts the whole thing right. So if I am cruising at 75( oh gosh my speedo may be 10% fast, THE BU qq ER MIGHT BE 10% SLOW THO') in the middle lane with vehicles spaced a few hundred metres apart on my left, and the outer lane is relatively free ... just pull over once more and p-ss off ... Speeder !!

I am amazed how many of us start putting our own 'spin' on the rules, when they are actually pretty clear cut and tend to dovetail together reasonably well.

P

In the USA I understand there no fast lane, doesn't matter what lane you're in. Any of you driven in USA ? Is it true, if so, got to be better hasn't it ? Why don't we have it over here ? No more road rage eh ?

Re middle lane driving, those that sit in the middle lane dont use mirrors..If m/way not busy Y not keep left those that do (& there are lots of US) have to move across all lanes when we want to pass..

Re USA
Driving in the USA is not as easy as UK.
1 You can get boxed in (U R in lane 1 approach slower vehicle, cant pull out to overtake as the cars outside may be going slower, they dont let U in as in the UK)
2 Its possible to be 3 lanes the wrong side of an exit.

In Canada (not sure of USA) they have what is called collector lanes, they work well, they can be 2 or 3 lanes, segregated from the main highway, U can remain in the collector or when permitted move to the main highway.

What we have on the whole works well.. Was most impressed driving across Germany how they overtake then return to the lane & the next car does the same, thats why high speeds are possible. Yes there accidents tend to be more serious.

Actually, this is a common misunderstanding (like the 55mph speed limit). Undertaking is NOT legally permitted in most states in the US. However, most people do it anyway. I always thought it was fine, and out there that is what everyone does. But apparently it is illegal, just as it is here.

Of course, the coppers probably turn a blind eye as their motorways are about as empty as a collection plate at a miser's convention.

A grey area I always ponder on the M25 is, you are allowed to overtake on the inside if the traffic is moving "in lanes". So if you are stuck in a traffic jam the middle lane can move without the outside lane moving first.

HOWEVER: what constitutes moving in lanes? If the traffic in the outside lane is doing 60mph but the middle lane is clear, surely I can legally drive at 70mph in the middle lane. If I felt it was a good idea, I would do it, and that would be my defence if stopped.

Re: the 55mph comment I made, I have seen 75mph speed limits in the US, as well as unrestricted roads (no speed limit, but you would be silly to go more than 40 as they are mostly unmade: think Dukes of Hazzard!)

Sponsored Links
Back