New stair carpet laid recently looks as if it has a seam across it

Thanks all, esp. to Doggit for saying I should relax: I'll ring them in the morning and hopefully we'll negotiate something satisfactory to both sides ! Will let you know ! & tx again for the interest taken.

Sponsored Links
That is a pole mark and should come out given some time. It does not look like a join, and almost every single carpet ever fitted has a pole mark of some description on it.

Pole marks do not always come out and that step could be replaced if a piece of carpet is available.

If I had a £1 for every customer that said that they had regularly had carpets fitted through their life and they had never seen a pole mark in a carpet before, I would be a weatlthy man and retired on a yacht and not in the carpet trade.

Fitters will always try and work round pole marks wherever possible, sometimes that's not always an option.

If the mark has not improved in a few weeks, it probably wont improve and it will need steaming or replacing, the manufacturer should cover this cost.

We had a carpet fitted yesterday. It has 5 similar lines across its full width.

Carpet shop have offered to replace it after the new year if the marks haven't disappeared by then.

Hi, both Crazydaze and Lower have offered more insights into this pole mark phenomenon. However did I manage life before knowing about it ?? Thanks for your comments:
I had a chat with the seller and we agreed to see how the pole mark is after the NY. He said he may be able to get hold of someone to steam it. "Lower", I would love to hear how your story develops if you have time to drop a line on this board. My partner said yesterday we should rip the whole lot out and start again with another supplier & fitter. (because it may be hard to colour/texture match). Luckily people on this site suggest being patient, so that is the course we're taking for the moment. Many thanks to both you & Crazydaze.

Sponsored Links
just be aware
ripping it out without allowing the original fitter to rectify will leave you without recourse to the original fitter/company so will be fully at your expence

Hi, both Crazydaze and Lower have offered more insights into this pole mark phenomenon. However did I manage life before knowing about it ?? Thanks for your comments:
I had a chat with the seller and we agreed to see how the pole mark is after the NY. He said he may be able to get hold of someone to steam it. "Lower", I would love to hear how your story develops if you have time to drop a line on this board. My partner said yesterday we should rip the whole lot out and start again with another supplier & fitter. (because it may be hard to colour/texture match). Luckily people on this site suggest being patient, so that is the course we're taking for the moment. Many thanks to both you & Crazydaze.

Reputable retailers and fitters will work with you to resolve the issue, as will manufacturers. As every carpet has a pole mark to some degree, replacing with anything from any other supplier or manufacturer risks a similar issue being present, unless you are happy to pay for an extra 50cm on each cut of carpet required for the job so any pole mark can be cut out.

Pole marks are such a common thing, in my 22 years experience of the retail carpet trade, I have only ever needed to replace two rooms for pole marks that didn’t lift naturally or with the assistance of steaming etc. And on both occasions the manufacturer provided the replacement free of charge and the retailer provided the refitting at no cost to the customers.

Thank you all for your previous advice.... I promised an update on the pole mark story !

History:
3.10.2017 Stair carpet ordered & deposit paid over phone. Told after deposit paid that fitting won't be till end of month as fitter 'hospitalised with hand injury). It was finally fitted early Dec, but after fitter left I discovered 'pole mark'.

I emailed Victoria Carpets, asking how to treat pole mark w/o damaging carpet. No reply from VC, who, when I rang, refused to discuss how to treat pole mark on one of their carpets: ... "go back to shop".

Advice from this site: Don't panic, Corporal Jones : "hoover/steam it ... leave it 2 months & see if it lifts. Also ask carpet shop in case he has carpet left over." "No, none left over, but can you pay the balance in the meantime". Advice from this site (thank goodness !): withhold payment until mark is sorted.

Recently: Shop rings, apologises for not being in touch: they've been busy. Can he come on 27 Feb to see pole mark for himself & use his own hoover on it. His decision on seeing carpet: steaming/hoovering won't lift the mark, so he won't bring the hoover in.. he will contact VC to see if they have a small piece. Rang early March, apologies for not being in touch earlier: VC has only just got back to him: (1) "thankfully and amazingly, VC has found a piece from that exact same batch as our original piece & it may be just enough for one winder and will be delivered to shop in 5-7 days." Monday 12 March shop rang: carpet for one winder is in & when can they fit it ?

My question today: once winder is fitted successfully (& matches), do I ask for compensation for inconvenience/wait over last 5-6 months ?

As before, many thanks for any advice !

If the recent guy came in and saw the problem immediately, then why didn't the fitter recognise the issue when it was fitted, and that would have saved all this agro.

They might write off the balance, or they might accept part of it, but if you don't ask them, then you won't know if thee's any wriggle room.

If the recent guy came in and saw the problem immediately, then why didn't the fitter recognise the issue when it was fitted, and that would have saved all this agro.

They might write off the balance, or they might accept part of it, but if you don't ask them, then you won't know if thee's any wriggle room.

Because pole marks are NOT faults, they are pressure marks that usually lift out in a few days.

With regards compensation, many people will ask for compensation for the ‘inconvenience’ of having the step replaced.

I wonder exactly what value you might put in the inconvenience as you have had the full use of the carpet, but as the mark hasn’t disappeared, and the step is being replaced at full cost to the retailer and manufacturer, has it really been much of a monetary inconvenience? Stressful? Affected you financially?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back