New stove .. Morso Squirrel or what alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Morso 1410 squirrel in one room, and an old stove of unknown make and poor condition in the other room. I'm going to fit a liner in that second room, and rework the register above the fireplace etc. That all needs sorting out as the existing flue is in poor condition. We were wondering whether to replace the stove at the same time. The obvious choice would be another Morso 1410, but I've been told that current ones aren't made to the same standard.

Any thoughts either on current Morso quality, or on alternatives of the same sort of size? A wider stove would be OK in the opening, but we don't need more heat output (room is around 16' x 14', 8' ceiling). It would need a glass door.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
I have two 1410 Squirrels and there's no problem with the quality at all (1 is 2 yrs, 1 nearly3). One of the cheek sides has cracked, but it's ok for now.
If I had any suggestion regarding the things, it would be to make the baffle that half covers the flue top outlet easier to remove for sweeping. I'd replace the screws with a stainless bolt, easier to undo!
I've no option but to sweep from through the stove as there isn't any other access apart from the chimney.
John :)

Good kit, Simon.....I do like the idea of the external air connection, which the Squirrel doesn't have.
Neither are particularly cheap!

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. External air is pretty much a non starter with our house, and not something of concern with either of the existing stoves.

Burnerman, when you say "cheek" I assume you mean the firebrick? Regarding the screws, are there any in particular of concern? If I start with a new 1410 then that would be the time to replace these with stainless.

Agree with you on the baffle, it's a bit of a pain to get out, but not really a show stopper. I couldn't manage to sweep through the stove last time I tried, ended up removing the stove to get access, but sweeping after four years only gave half a cup of grey ash, so not something that needs to be done too often. In future I'll sweep from the top as I've just done in the room with the old stove.

Forgive me from going from memory, but I'm not at the house where the stoves are today.....
Anyway, both are top flued and when I was assembling them, I had to fix an upside down domed baffle just below the flue outlet....this is above the main baffle in the combustion area. I thought at the time the securing screw would be difficult to shift, but did nothing about it - time will tell how easy it is to shift to get the brush up!
Its the side firebrick that has split on mine - again, no problem with that.
I'm burning logs and ovoids on mine but I'm only there at weekends so I don't expect to sweep for another year at least....I only lined the flues a year ago.
I'd certainly buy another (around £800 I think) but there's so much choice out there!
I particularly like the ash door being able to be jacked open slightly to get it going, but I appreciate you can't put big logs on - so I cut mine appropriately.

Forgive me from going from memory, but I'm not at the house where the stoves are today.....
Anyway, both are top flued and when I was assembling them, I had to fix an upside down domed baffle just below the flue outlet....this is above the main baffle in the combustion area. I thought at the time the securing screw would be difficult to shift, but did nothing about it - time will tell how easy it is to shift to get the brush up!
Its the side firebrick that has split on mine - again, no problem with that.
I'm burning logs and ovoids on mine but I'm only there at weekends so I don't expect to sweep for another year at least....I only lined the flues a year ago.
I'd certainly buy another (around £800 I think) but there's so much choice out there!
I particularly like the ash door being able to be jacked open slightly to get it going, but I appreciate you can't put big logs on - so I cut mine appropriately.

Ours doesn't have that part, it seems to be a recent addition which is noted in some documentation but not shown in exploded diagrams. Variously called "Smoke hood" or "draft reducer". The only positive comments about this seem to be that it mustn't be fitted if the flue height is less than 4.5m.

I'll have to check mine again, but if I recall correctly, this device was only to be fitted when the top flue outlet was used - not the back one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back